Are bay leaves safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have ants in my apartment and was thinking to use Bay leaves to control them and keep the away from the beradie tank. Would this be safe? I don't want the ants to eat the leaves and then get into the tank and him eat the ants and get sick. The ants have gotten to the tank yet but are starting to get near the dresser his tank sits on.
Thanks in advance

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I dont know to be honest, maybe some one else does.

The ants are here for the season for me too now. But I've found the best success with spraying the perimeter of my house with a spray I buy at the hardware store.

None of my dragons ever go near the sea I spray, and it's only an inch wide anyways, but it's enough to keep the ants at bay until next year.
Just a thought if possible for you.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have used Terro ant killer that is a liquid I put on a paper towel on the floor where they are at - it draws them to it then they take it back to their home--- I would not let your dragon out until the ants are gone - and make sure you wipe the floor up where you place it after you have cleaned the mess up from that ---------------- we have ants this year too and my husband got some stuff from Walmart and went around the outside of the house and it seems to have gotten rid of alot of them - they are not as bad in the house - I have not put out any Terro out since then--
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not sure about the bay leaves either. I wouldn't think they would pose a problem, especially in small amounts. That said, I've had good luck using vinegar for ant control. I just spray doorways and areas ants have been seen with vinegar on a regular basis and it seems to cut down on their activity quite a bit. It's harmless so worth a shot.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
All I've found is this from https://www.lizards101.com/what-can-bearded-dragons-eat-and-not-eat-safe-toxic-foods/#Can-bearded-dragons-eat-bay-leaves
Can bearded dragons eat bay leaves

No, bay leaves have not been tested for toxicity in bearded dragons, so don’t feed. And on top of it, bay leaves are rather tough so could also pose a choking hazard.

As far as ants, they always follow pheromone trails. Kill the pheromone trail and you stop the ants. If you can find where they're entering the building, a line of Comet® cleanser across their trail will both discourage them, and (allegedly) poison them when taken back to the nest. We've used it for decades to stop incursions.

Of course Comet would also be poisonous to BDs and other pets, which is why it should be placed across the pheromone trails outside the home and out of reach/access to pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom