9-10 month old beardie has mushy poop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my beardie is still acting the same as per usual, running around, basking and eating like normal, but his last two poops have been mushy/kinda watery? im a little worried. his temps are 100F basking spot and the cooler side ranges from 75-85F. he eats roughly 30-40 crickets a day (calcium covered) for greens i give his snap peas finely chopped and occasionally cilantro. i keep his tank as clean as i can! any advice will be appreciated!! P.s no loose substrate in his tank

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That is the issue ----- coil -- here is some info for you on UVB
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- I would get that changed out ASAP--- basically hes been getting no UVB at all ---- once you get that fixed and the basking temps up there to 105-110-- use the website for nutrition things should start to straighten out --- however I am now wondering w/ how long you have been using that bulb if hes not got MVB---- have you been dusting his bugs w/ Calcium D3 ? and giving vitamins as well
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Upgrading your uvb is a good idea like karrie suggested. You could try bumping up your basking surface temp too. That way he can pick the spot if he wants it hotter or cooler.

1 or 2 weird poos isnt usually a cause for alarm until it's been a week or two. Just like us, lots of things can cause irregularities.

Snap peas only might be causing it too. Try to give a salad full of variety with good staple greens and vegies. Good variety is the key to good health.

-Brandon

AlduinTheBeardie3

Original Poster
claudiusx":1apvn9ex said:
Upgrading your uvb is a good idea like karrie suggested. You could try bumping up your basking surface temp too. That way he can pick the spot if he wants it hotter or cooler.

1 or 2 weird poos isnt usually a cause for alarm until it's been a week or two. Just like us, lots of things can cause irregularities.

Snap peas only might be causing it too. Try to give a salad full of variety with good staple greens and vegies. Good variety is the key to good health.

-Brandon
Thanks! i short on cash but ill buy a tube uvb light asap lol. What i was thinking was that the peas were too watery for him, mind me asking what all do you put in your beardies salads?

AlduinTheBeardie3

Original Poster
KarrieRee":iyzgpytx said:
That is the issue ----- coil -- here is some info for you on UVB
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- I would get that changed out ASAP--- basically hes been getting no UVB at all ---- once you get that fixed and the basking temps up there to 105-110-- use the website for nutrition things should start to straighten out --- however I am now wondering w/ how long you have been using that bulb if hes not got MVB---- have you been dusting his bugs w/ Calcium D3 ? and giving vitamins as well
Karrie
Sounds good, like i told brandon down below, im short on cash but ill be buying a tube asap. Thank you for the facts lol much appreciated!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I posted a website above for nutrition-- I feed mine collards turnips mustard greens--- yellow and zucchini squash butter nut squash fruit strawberries apples blackberries raspberries - sweet potato there is a list staple things on the website - go there to get more ideas ---
Karrie

AlduinTheBeardie3

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1iy3e0tl said:
I posted a website above for nutrition-- I feed mine collards turnips mustard greens--- yellow and zucchini squash butter nut squash fruit strawberries apples blackberries raspberries - sweet potato there is a list staple things on the website - go there to get more ideas ---
Karrie
Oh! thank you so much!!! im getting a tube light tomorrow afternoon! and thanks for the website :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom