Swollen Eye, Loss of Appetite, Gasping

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABeardie

UPDATE: She went downhill very fast overnight, she has been put to sleep.

I have posted about this girl before. She is nearly 9 years old at least. For months she has been 'choking' on her food but eventually swallows it and is fine. No issues any other time. Vets suspected respiratory infection. She had two weeks on oral baytril and then three weeks on ceftazidime, with no effect. Last month her x-rays were clear and her heart sounded normal.

A few days ago I caught her trying to scratch her eye. She couldn't reach with her back foot and has no toes to scratch it with. Thought she was just itchy. Yesterday her eye was swollen and watery. She didn't want to eat her greens. This morning her eye was shut but opened it with a cotton bud and some water. Still watery. She does not want to eat bugs. Been dark and hasn't moved from her basking spot. Didn't want to drink water from a syrienge so I gave her a bath because she usually drinks in that. She didn't drink there, but started gulping and making harsh wheezing/hissing noises with heavy breathing. Like she used to do with food but this is the first time she has done it without eating. The last thing she ate was grub pie a few days ago. I could see it in her mouth for a bit like it was stuck, this happens with the rest of her food, but she has swallowed it. She also had locusts and supers recently.

I've been reading and all sorts of bad things have come up. Things like heart failure and respiratory failure. Cancer, abscesses and heart enlargement were a few others, but could they come up so quickly after her check-up?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear she didn't make it =(. I remember you posting about her trouble eating. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help then. Are you going to have a necropsy done to try and figure out what went wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom