Atadenovirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend Doris and I some reading about adv. It seems like a lot of articles are very old, and we’d love to get some more current advice.

Thanks in advance :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
DorisTheDragon":1qzvztw6 said:
Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend Doris and I some reading about adv. It seems like a lot of articles are very old, and we’d love to get some more current advice.

Thanks in advance :)

Unfortunately, not much has been done research wise to cause a need to change the old articles. They are old but still up to date, unfortunately. There has been some experimental research done, but i'm not sure where they got with that.
Honestly it's not a subject I really follow very closely so I can't be of much help as to pointing you in the direction of anything new. There are a few others on here who follow ADV pretty closely, hopefully they will chime in.

Did you have any specific questions? Maybe I or someone else could help you in that regard.

-Brandon

DorisTheDragon

Original Poster
claudiusx":1wj3ovqf said:
Unfortunately, not much has been done research wise to cause a need to change the old articles. They are old but still up to date, unfortunately. There has been some experimental research done, but i'm not sure where they got with that.
Honestly it's not a subject I really follow very closely so I can't be of much help as to pointing you in the direction of anything new. There are a few others on here who follow ADV pretty closely, hopefully they will chime in.

Did you have any specific questions? Maybe I or someone else could help you in that regard.

-Brandon

Thank you for your reply. Doris just had a positive viral test for ADV, and I just want to learn as much as I can about it so she can be as happy as possible. We’re going to see the vet on Friday, and I’m sure he’ll have lots of advice but I’m struggling to find any real, in depth information online
about how I can help her.

I’m sure we’ll have some more specific questions when we’ve been to see the vet, but just now I’d like to know more about the prognosis and how to make her as healthy as possible.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Why did you get her tested, was she showing symptoms or acting sickly?

Some dragons live a full long life with it, and other times not so much. It's a really confusing disease and the best you can usually do is symptom management.

But for instance, MissT just posted about her girl Phoebe who is 10 years old now and is ADV positive.
https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=249964

-Brandon

DorisTheDragon

Original Poster
That’s so great, it’s so good to hear that Phoebe is living her best life.

We got Doris tested because she’s having apparent neurological problems. It seems like neurological stuff is pretty serious from what I’ve read.

MissT

BD.org Addict
I've had 3 confirmed ADV dragons and they couldn't be more different experiences. All the reading in the world couldn't have prepared me for what ended up being totally individual cases. I remember panicking in the beginning, fussing over every detail of their lives but really, I've ended up just having to go with the flow for the most part and base their care on them as individuals.

Kazi passed when he was 4 after constant, often inexplicable health problems his whole life.

Huff just passed away last week-he would have been around 12/13 years old- diagnosed in 2011 from what I can remember and other than the MBD he had when I got him, he was never ill and never at the vet except for his annual check ups. Everything caught up with him in the past 6 months though, that's when minor neurological issues started to show up but I think he did pretty well.

Then Ms Phoebe who is mentioned above- also diagnosed wifh adv same time as Huff but since her 'possible renal failure' when she was 3, she hasn't had any big issues since... except being half blind but sometimes I think that's just an excuse to attack me-she's always been a wild card!

Just do what you can to make sure she is happy and im sure Doris will let you know what she needs :)

DorisTheDragon

Original Poster
Thank you for sharing your stories, MissT. I’m sorry to hear about Huff and Kazi. It’s really helpful to hear people’s experiences with ADV and strange how differently the virus can present itself. It’s a good thing that dragons are pretty good at telling us what they want!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry your dragon is positive for Adeno. Is he doing pretty well?
Check out my website here:

www.thepats.info

I work in conjunction with a lab here in Texas that does testing.
What supplementation are you using for him? One of the most important things you can
do for your dragon is to build his immune system so he can fight off secondary infections,
etc. I have also been working on finding a remedy to help clear it out of their systems, too.
I did manage to clear it out of our dragons though. I had one who was a true negative since
birth. The second one I brought in as a rescue but obviously made a mistake somehow &
he contracted it. I have managed to get him cleared out. Our girl who we had rescued passed
away last year but not from Adeno, but just from old age.

Tracie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Drache613":1ybxeb49 said:
I did manage to clear it out of our dragons though. I had one who was a true negative since
birth. The second one I brought in as a rescue but obviously made a mistake somehow &
he contracted it. I have managed to get him cleared out.
Tracie

Wow Amazing Tracie, I didn't know you had done this. It sounds like we are progressing in the right direction then! :D

-Brandon

DorisTheDragon

Original Poster
Hello Tracie,

Doris is still doing fairly well thank you. She’s got some maybe neurological problems (forgetting her legs and occasionally rolling) but it’s different to tell exactly what’s happening at the moment as she’s just finished a course of medicine for Coccidia and is also shedding.

We’re giving her Earth Pro A vitamins twice a week on her live food (calcium the other two times), we sprinkle bee pollen on her salad once a week, and occasionally we put a little brewers yeast on her veg. Any advice to help her stay fighting fit is very welcome :)

DorisTheDragon

Original Poster
So Doris had her vet appointment this morning. The vet seemed to think she was doing ok. She’s only lost a little weight since she came out of brumation, and is bright and lively (most of the time!). He gave her a vitamin shot, which seems like a good idea, and suggested we return in about a month for a check up.

We also care for a Crested Gecko, and are a bit concerned that she may catch the virus too. We have always been extremely careful about hand washing, and the two girls don’t share the same ornaments or feeder insects. How easily transmitted is ADV?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
ADV is fairly contagious as far as I know. Good hand washing practice, isolation, and proper sanitization are key factors in preventing the spread of the disease.

Drache613":2oys91ft said:
Hello,

I am sorry your dragon is positive for Adeno. Is he doing pretty well?
Check out my website here:

http://www.thepats.info

I work in conjunction with a lab here in Texas that does testing.
What supplementation are you using for him? One of the most important things you can
do for your dragon is to build his immune system so he can fight off secondary infections,
etc. I have also been working on finding a remedy to help clear it out of their systems, too.
he contracted it. I have managed to get him cleared out. Our girl who we had rescued passed
away last year but not from Adeno, but just from old age.

Tracie
how did you clear the virus from your dragon?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I used a strong colloidal/ionic silver for help with clearing out the virus in our male.
It had cleared out our female, also.
I think there are probably a lot of factors which go into how effective it is for them which
depends on genetics, the severity of the virus, age, etc.
How is your dragon doing now?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom