Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
105031-5788439820.jpg
105031-5541457171.jpg

Quick question about these two halogen floods the first picture with hexagon in the middle is a 90 watt par 38 Phillip's brand and the second is a satco 60watt par38. I've tested both and it's weird it looks like the 60 watt is more of a white color and brighter than the 90watt. The 90watt is definitely hotter but has a yellowish ring around the outside of the bulb. Does anyone have any experience with this.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not sure exactly what your question or concern is between the two?
The yellow ring in the picture is just how the manufacture makes the bulb.

Either bulb should work fine for you as long as one of them gives you the temperature you need.

Lumen output and kelvin rating (color) have no real effect on heat output. As heat is an unwanted byproduct of light generation, one wattage can produce significantly hotter temperatures than the same wattage from another brand/type. It all depends on what type of bulb it is and how well it was made. Of course, reptile basking bulbs are the exception (and im sure some other bulbs too) where heat generation actually is one of the intended outputs.

-Brandon

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Sorry I wasn't very clear on what my question was. I guess I was just wondering why does the 60watt par38 halogen seem brighter and more of a white color than the 90 watt par38 halogen. The 90 watt seems to have slightly more of a yellowish color. I'm not sure the lumen rating of the 90 watt but the 60 watt is 1090. I just figured the 90 would be much brighter and have more lumens. Just curious if anyone used the Phillips brand 90 watt par38 and could chime in. Also the face of the bulb is about 24 inches up from the bottom of the floor of the viv to get proper temperatures does that sound about right? Thanks

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Hi Brandon! I have a guess because I noticed the same thing buying bulbs. This is a guess, that the lower wattage bulb may have more reflectors built inside so it appears brighter and whiter. As long as you get the right temperatures and the package says it is a full spectrum bulb that is enough. The packaging should have the lumen rating on it so you can compare.

You could try both lights and place a white sheet of paper under them to see if any bulb is giving off yellow color.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
I don't have the packaging anymore but I don't remember it saying anything about full spectrum. What do you mean when you say full spectrum.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think the differences are with the lens and perhaps the manufacturing process for each brand. As long as the heat output is correct and it appears bright it should do the trick. I've used Philips before but mostly stick with GE brand. I've tried Satco in the past (clear bulbs used for baby chickens rather than the flood lights) and found that the quality was pretty poor and the glass shattered. It wasn't worth the cost savings in my experience.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Cooperdragon if I use the Phillips and have it about 24 inches from the viv is 90 watts to much for my tank it's 36x18x12 high.
105031-8719006250.jpg
Thank you for the help

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
It sucks that satco is not a great brand as I trust your judgment and I got the bulb at batteries plus bulbs and it was just as expensive as the Phillips one. It looks like a decent bulb but now I'm not sure.
105031-5788439820.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It may very well be OK. The one I used was not the same and was a thin clear glass. It was a $2.50(ish) bulb so go ahead and try both out and see which works best in your setup. The main thing is bright visible light and adequate surface temps. If they're both PAR38 then the beam should be about the same width.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Rubble1212":2t0hpi1h said:
It sucks that satco is not a great brand as I trust your judgment and I got the bulb at batteries plus bulbs and it was just as expensive as the Phillips one. It looks like a decent bulb but now I'm not sure.
105031-5788439820.jpg
As long as the bulb provides you the temperatures you need, and it doesn't produce a colored light (such as red or blue/purple) you are good to go with it.

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Rubble1212":3c14t20z said:
Cooperdragon if I use the Phillips and have it about 24 inches from the viv is 90 watts to much for my tank it's 36x18x12 high.
105031-8719006250.jpg
Thank you for the help

That's about the height I keep my bulb and I also use a 90w. That said, the temps can vary between tanks and depending on the room temp etc. It's certainly a good place to start though.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
FWIW, in one of my tanks I'm just using a normal household vanity sink bulb.

I haven't used a halogen like in this thread since Calcifer my Uro, who I had setup a basking spot of 135 for :mrgreen:

Not that it matters much energy wise, I think mine is a 65w, so not that big of a difference, I just have it closer to the basking surface than you do.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom