Beardie Dying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pretty sure my dragon is dying. Noticed him acting not himself yesterday but though he might be getting ready to shed his skin. But this morning he is limp and a lot of fluid came out of him. I honestly though he would be dead already. I have no idea how old he his because he came to us old. We have had him for 6 years now. He is not really moving all day and limp when I picked him up. What can I do to make comfortable.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Have you thought about taking him into the vet? I am at a loss for words on this --- what kind of fluid ? Water? Has he been eating ? What kind of lighting do you have in the tank ? Please post pics of him and his tank and lighting please-- others on here can give you advice on how to keep him comfortable but my guess would be to keep him warm
Karrie

Gervgirl78

Original Poster
I accidentally typed my reply in a report this post ugh so sorry I am just upset and not paying attention

Gervgirl78

Original Poster
So I have posted in here about four years ago about my tank set up and the only thing I needed to change was the position of the lighting. He did eat a little bit yesterday. This morning he had pooped a little and there was a big area of fluid around him that looked clear. When I came home today his mouth was open so I tempted to give him a little bit of water but he closed his mouth. If he still alive by morning I’ll definitely be looking to take him to the vet. In the meantime I just feel like Maybe there is something I could do.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so some others on here are gonna haft to help you drache613 or AHBD or Brandon drache613 is our vet moderator-- I am so sorry she is so ill- I wish the best for you and her-- I would keep her warm overnite-
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Sorry you two are going through this.
So this all happened within 2 days basically?

How has his diet been up to this point. Any supplementation?

I'm on mobile right now so it's too hard to go through your old posts to see what your setup is like, would you mind just answering a few quick questions on it?
Maybe posting a picture?

What type of UV bulb do you have, and how old is it?
What is the basking surface temp in your tank?

Was the fluid still clear with this recent poo?

Unfortunatly he really will most likely need to be seen by a vet. They will be able to determine if the excess fluid is from organ failure or something else.
If you could keep him a bit warmer tonight that would be good.

Has he ate at all today?

-Brandon

Gervgirl78

Original Poster
Now I think about it he had a strange poop last week in which his food was not digested very well but was acting ok. They yesterday his beard was black and he was not himself at all.

I feed him super worms with supplements, Dandelions and clove from my yard. I do not use any chemicals in my yard so I know good, baby food and sometimes the dragon diet and sometime crickets.
105042-5817920621.jpg

This is the bulbs I use
105042-8238858119.jpg

My older post are on another account because I could not remember my login info so I made a new one.

He has not eaten today and I tired a little water in his mouth and it just came right out, he will not drink it.

Fluid still seems to be clear coming out. He seems very dehydrated at this point.

He also seem to be grasping for air every once in a while now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well I would replace the UVB- I would get a reptisun 10.0 bulb T 5 that is a good strong bulb--- or the T 8 it needs to go inside the tank 6-8 inches from basking-- and I would get him to the vet---
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry your boy isn't doing well.
I agree, I would recommend replacing the Reptiglo 10 with a Reptisun 10 tube. As suggested,
the T5 type is a higher UVB output for him. If you are getting him outside for some sunshine,
that is terrific. Do be mindful when having him outside that he doesn't get lost or overheated.
Since he is an adult, he needs calcium 3, maybe 4 times per week.
How many superworms do you feed him on average, weekly?
Since he seemed fine, but then you had him outside, is there any way that he could have
ingested a toxic bug possibly that you know of? Since you don't use pesticides on your yard
that would be out of the possibility realm but a bug maybe?

Tracie

Gervgirl78

Original Poster
I usually have him on a leash outside, yesterday he was not as active and decided he would be good without one. He did not eat anything yesterday outside, usually he will eat some clove but nothing yesterday. I might not have been giving him enough calcium though. I give him supplement one a week but the dragon food said there is calcium in it so I assumed he gets enough from there. He does eat a lot a super worms, about 3 times a week and will eat about 3-6 at a time. I will get him a new bulb today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom