Mixing substrates in my new custom built terrarium

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of building my new terrarium for my new beardie. I am thinking of using a mix of two seperate substrates to give a variety I'm thinking ceramic tile and repti carpet. Any suggestions aswell should I mortar the tiles down or leave loose for cleaning ease. My terrarium is 5'x2'x2'.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
I'd think ceramic tile and repticarpet would look lovely, I use Linoleum and paper towels for all my tanks, and that also works really well (I used to have tile but taking big heavy tile slabs out to hose them down each week from ALL the tanks was getting tiring for me, so I go with linoleum and it works just as well).

My reptiles and I do seem to really like those substrates the best. When I had Tile I would have Tile all over the floor of the tank, Then have sections with carpet or paper towels on top of the tile so my animals could burrow and they really seemed to like that.

In my opinion it's much easier to Keep the tiles loose, especially in the long run like if you're ever upgrading your tank or selling it or etc, It's much better to have the tile Removable so you can take them out and deep clean everything and if you ever change your mind you can switch out the tiles.

Mortaring them would probably look nicer, but also might be a bit more difficult for cleaning and such (see above paragraph). For mortaring the tiles you'd definitely have to spot clean a lot more. So it's up to you honestly.

Also, I'd love to see some photos of the finished project! :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
For my tiles I put paper towels underneath and it catches all the loose urate -- makes is easier to clean - pull tile clean w/ vinegar/ water - replace paper towel-
Karrie

Aolsen1989

Original Poster
Here is a picture of what I have so far still alot of work to do
full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Are you using plexi glass for front doors or regular glass? It looks like its gonna be nice when your done
Karrie

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hiya,

I think the mixing of substrates like this is a lovely idea! You also might consider trying a heavy-duty fleece instead of repticarpet - I use both and the fleece is a godsend for my zillion animals since it's cheap and a bit more poop-resistant than repticarpet.

For mortaring the tile down versus leaving it loose, entirely up to you and your preferences. I would suggest using some kind of sealant - perhaps silicone - over the mortar. Or just using silicone in place of mortar.

Your tank looks amazing! I would love it if you posted updates.

Best,
-Ellen

Aolsen1989

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3q83jbgw said:
Are you using plexi glass for front doors or regular glass? It looks like its gonna be nice when your done
Karrie
I'm going to be using plexi and I have a triple thermometer setup so I will have the ability to have decreasing temps across. I am in the process of sealing now and building the hide. Keeping in mind that I am getting a baby so this Viv will be a great place to live. I am trying to decide if I want to texture the back wall.

Aolsen1989

Original Poster
Ok so almost done the full build all thats left is a bit more decoration. And to install the CHE fixture and the fixture for the basking bulb once they arrive. Any recommendations on decoration. The hide and basking spot are custom built aswell.
104815-8733582254.jpg

Not running all lights in picture

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Looks good! I think a piece of driftwood always looks nice in a tank.

-Brandon

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Looks very good! But I do agree with Brandon, A big ol' piece of driftwood would look great in that tank, fully decorate it up and you've got a Beardie mansion. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom