Beardie ate piece of clover!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aretber

Hi, Today I took my bearded dragon Pal outside to hang out and soak up some UVB for a little bit. But while we were outside I guess Pal was hungry and ate a piece of a clover. So I took him inside and gave him a bowl of shredded lettuce to eat. Will He be fine or do I need to take him to the vet or something?

Thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It would only be a real concern if the area had recently been sprayed with something such as a weed killer or pesticide.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Clover is fine SO LONG AS IT'S HERBICIDE FREE. My skinks and dragons have always been partial to the leaves and the flowers.

Now I'll put my professional analytical chemist's & chemical engineer's caps on.

If anyone uses herbicides / weed killers in the yard or the next door neigbours' yards , don't let the dragon eat any of the insects or weeds/herbs (clover, thistle, dandelion) it finds there.
These herbicides and weedkillers have a habit of travelling across , over (often by sly spraying by a lawn obscessive neighbor who wants a perfect lawn) and under boundary fences. And travelling in the breeze to accidentally contaminate your garden and lawn.

Pesticides & herbicides / weedkillers used in controlling weeds, insects, etc., are toxic. These chemicals have been created to kill pests and most are broad-spectrum biocides.
The insecticide malathion and herbicides such as 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (commonly called "2,4-D") and glyphosate (Roundup), are widely used by homeowners and insistently claimed to be safe by the pesticide industry. Many people use these chemicals on their lawns and around the house and are oblivious to their toxicity and residue effects.
There are dozens of pesticides that are known or possible carcinogens or hormone disruptors out on the market right now.
This means they are poisonous to a wide variety of living organisms, including garden plants, wildlife, pets, your neighbors, your family and you. Inert ingredients, which may comprise most of a pesticide formula may actually be more toxic than the active ingredients.

So be wary and apply due diligence to ensure your yard is dragon safe BEFORE letting your pet dragon nibble anything or taste-test anything or catch any bugs from the wild, also be wary of paracites in the wild bugs guts , especially if there are cats and dogs living nearby .

Careful if the yard has had synthetic fertilizer applied recently too.There are two types of fertilizers: chemical and organic. The packages for chemical fertilizers tell you what the active ingredients are, such as nitrogen and phosphates but often don't tell you what the inert ingredients are, which can contain potentially poisonous substances such as arsenic, lead, mercury, cadmium and other metals.
High nitrogen fertilizers are toxic.

If in doubt don't don't let the dragon nibble the weeds/herbs and grasses and plants in your yard.

Aretber

Original Poster
Thank you so much!
It has been about four hours and he seems fine, so I'm guessing that he'll be OK.

I also have come to the conclusion that there shouldn't have been fertilizer or anything on it so he should be fine.

Thank you, everyone!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Clover [ flower as well as the leaf ] is actually a nutritious food. I give it my dragons throughout the season as part of their diet. If there are no concerns about neighbors spraying chemicals, feed them to him as often as he wants. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom