Please help! Is this tail rot?

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Please help! Is this tail rot?

Postby RowanMax1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:45 am

Petco said no, but I’m worried! Should we take him to the vet?
[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]

Here are additional photos- this one taken in May 12. You can see the tip only slightly bent compared to now. It is not dark, but seems dried up. [Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
Last edited by RowanMax1 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
RowanMax1
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:48 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Please help! Is this tail rot?

Postby claudiusx » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:11 am

Doesn't look like tail rot but there is a definite difference in the tip of the tail. Sometimes that can be caused by retained shed pinching the tail and not allowing it to grow. Sometimes it stays that way, sometimes it falls off, sometimes the tip of the tail catches up to the rest of the tail.

As long as their are no open wounds or cuts around that tip i'd just keep an eye on it once a week or so, see how it's progressing.

-Brandon
User avatar
claudiusx
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 14628
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Please help! Is this tail rot?

Postby AHBD » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:42 am

Those cases are tricky, sometimes it's rot and it creeps up the tail under the scales and you can't see it destroying more tissue until the tail structure shrivels like that part there. Do you know if there was a certain way he wounded it to begin with ? Make a slight mark with a sharpie and if the tail gets worse beyond that point you should have it amputated for sure. It's no big deal, easy surgery [ a small part can be done yourself ] and beardies recover very quickly, usually eating + acting normally the same day.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 22771
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Please help! Is this tail rot?

Postby RowanMax1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:42 am

Thank you! I posted a few more pics from May 12– you can see it was just a small bit at the tip. It definitely is longernow. But not dark.. just seems dried up.

claudiusx wrote:Doesn't look like tail rot but there is a definite difference in the tip of the tail. Sometimes that can be caused by retained shed pinching the tail and not allowing it to grow. Sometimes it stays that way, sometimes it falls off, sometimes the tip of the tail catches up to the rest of the tail.

As long as their are no open wounds or cuts around that tip i'd just keep an eye on it once a week or so, see how it's progressing.

-Brandon
RowanMax1
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:48 am

Re: Please help! Is this tail rot?

Postby RowanMax1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:45 am

Thanks for your reply! I did not see him get wounded. As he began sheddingand growing, it just seemed to start as a little bent part at the tip, then did not shed with the rest. I posted more pics so you can see the progression.
AHBD wrote:Those cases are tricky, sometimes it's rot and it creeps up the tail under the scales and you can't see it destroying more tissue until the tail structure shrivels like that part there. Do you know if there was a certain way he wounded it to begin with ? Make a slight mark with a sharpie and if the tail gets worse beyond that point you should have it amputated for sure. It's no big deal, easy surgery [ a small part can be done yourself ] and beardies recover very quickly, usually eating + acting normally the same day.
RowanMax1
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:48 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Please help! Is this tail rot?

Postby AHBD » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:01 am

O.K, it is spreading then. Best to have it cut about 1/4" above where the bad part ends. Is that your son's dragon ? Cute little fella !
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 22771
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Please help! Is this tail rot?

Postby RowanMax1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:51 pm

AHBD wrote:O.K, it is spreading then. Best to have it cut about 1/4" above where the bad part ends. Is that your son's dragon ? Cute little fella !

thanks again...yes, we have him to my son for his birthday. But I supervise the care and feeding of Max! Have an appt at the vet tomorrow. 🤞🏽
RowanMax1
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:48 am

Re: Please help! Is this tail rot?

Postby AHBD » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:04 am

Hope all goes well. They should snip that off as I mentioned, should not need to be put to sleep at all. People even do a small amputation like that at home, beardies don't feel that much in the tail. That's why babies in pet stores may bite parts of each other's tail's off and if they're in good health otherwise it hardly fazes them. Please update after the visit !
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 22771
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Please help! Is this tail rot?

Postby AHBD » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:29 am

Hi, just wondering how the vet appt. went , did they amputate the end of his tail ?
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 22771
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Beardie ER

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users