Liquid Coming Out of Mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning I noticed my beardie was coughing and subsequently had liquid coming out of his mouth and nostrils. He's been black bearding all day and is pale even though he's got an appropriate temperature which is unusual for him. The liquid is clearish and sticky, probably from his saliva and has little dark specks, hopefully just the plaque from his teeth?
I fed him yesterday after he had been refusing for awhile since he likes superworms more than dubia roaches. The last time he had a drink was sometime last week, I just let him drink from the faucet while cupping my hand. Maybe water went down the wrong way or he breathed it in? I don't give him soaks because he really doesn't like it so he hasn't been under water. The only other off thing about him is his teeth are almost black, could be just plaque as the rest of his mouth looks healthy. Went to the bathroom today also.
He is probably around eleven years old, got him from someone else who got him from someone else. He will not eat anything other than insects, no kind of fruits or veggies unfortunately. I supplement him with calcium and multi-vitamins and he has a UVB bulb too. Likely going to take him to the vet, even if this clears up I don't want him to develop a URI. I've tilted him at an angle while supporting his head and when he opens his mouth, liquid pours out otherwise it just drips. Read that it's possible he could have something stuck in his throat? Sorry this is all over the place but any help will be appreciated!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It sounds like a trip to the vet is in order -- make sure its a reptile vet--- can you post pics of your tank and lighting please -------------- one of the other more experienced people on this board is gonna haft to respond to this but they will want to see the tank and lighting
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Sounds like he's developed a respiratory infection.

You say he's not been near water for about a week and this has developed "suddenly" in the last day or so, it's possible some water was aspirated and he has subsequently developed pheumonia.

I think you really need to bite that financial bullet and get him to a local REPTILE vet right away since he's already very sick and in distress.
He's going to need to be assessed and prescribed suitable meds , perhaps given orally or by injections (if he's too sick to take the meds orally) and maybe treatment by antibiotic nebulization.

If it's business hours when you are reading this, I'd call the vet right now and tell them you have a critically ill bearded dragon and you are on your way NOW.

Yes and a detailed run down on the lighting and tank setup and tank temperatures as well as the feeding schedule and diet is going to help us help you.

CheshireGleam

Original Poster
The hot side of his tank is around 110 degrees F, the cool side is around 78 degrees F, taken with a temperature gun. He has a Zoo Med T8 Reptisun 36 inch UVB Bulb in a relfector hood the same length and an Exo Terra 100 watt Intense Basking Spot Lamp. His feeding schedule varies since he doesn't want to eat much sometimes but typically is fed however many gut-loaded dubia roaches, superworms, red runners, hornworms, ect as he wants in one sitting a few times a week. I dust his food in either Zoo Med's Reptivite or Rep Cal's Herptivite once for every three dustings of Zoo Med's Repticalcium with D3 or the without D3 version. He's in a forty gallon breeder tank. I'm going to be taking him to the vet tomorrow as soon as possible, however I don't have any reptile specific vets near me. I have an exotics vet less than five minutes away from my house that deals with reptiles including bearded dragons, is that still suitable? I don't really have any other options than that and I'm not entertaining the idea of not taking him in. The only other factor I can think of contributing to his illness is that he's next to a fully planted 40 gallon breeder bio-active? Not sure if they're that sensitive? Here's some pictures of him and his enclosure, the sheet isn't normally in there but my mom wanted him to have something soft to lay on if he wanted. Let me know if I missed anything important, thanks for the responses.
Edit: Won't be able to take him in until 2:30pm today, they don't take emergencies and all appointments are filled for this morning. He has an appointment now though so will update later.

96297-7785650165.jpg
96297-3465250209.jpg
96297-9148568334.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That vet sounds good I am glad your getting him in and it's good that the temp is up there that will help as well-- keep us posted on him and I am not familiar w/ bioactive tanks
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CheshireGleam":3vql9g8c said:
The hot side of his tank is around 110 degrees F,
<<< 110 degF = 43 degC is GETTING VERY CLOSE to the dangerous temperatures.
See this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=233516
I'd nudge that down a few degrees C.

If he has an RI , keep him warmer than 28 degC round the clock while he's sick and being treated will :
>> help dry the mucus
>> help boost his metabolism
>> help boost his immune system

the cool side is around 78 degrees F, taken with a temperature gun. He has a Zoo Med T8 Reptisun 36 inch UVB Bulb in a relfector hood the same length and an Exo Terra 100 watt Intense Basking Spot Lamp. His feeding schedule varies since he doesn't want to eat much sometimes but typically is fed however many gut-loaded dubia roaches, superworms, red runners, hornworms, ect as he wants in one sitting a few times a week. I dust his food in either Zoo Med's Reptivite or Rep Cal's Herptivite once for every three dustings of Zoo Med's Repticalcium with D3 or the without D3 version. He's in a forty gallon breeder tank. I'm going to be taking him to the vet tomorrow as soon as possible, however I don't have any reptile specific vets near me. I have an exotics vet less than five minutes away from my house that deals with reptiles including bearded dragons, is that still suitable? I don't really have any other options than that and I'm not entertaining the idea of not taking him in. The only other factor I can think of contributing to his illness is that he's next to a fully planted 40 gallon breeder bio-active? Not sure if they're that sensitive? Here's some pictures of him and his enclosure, the sheet isn't normally in there but my mom wanted him to have something soft to lay on if he wanted. Let me know if I missed anything important, thanks for the responses.
Edit: Won't be able to take him in until 2:30pm today, they don't take emergencies and all appointments are filled for this morning. He has an appointment now though so will update later.

96297-7785650165.jpg
96297-3465250209.jpg
96297-9148568334.jpg

CheshireGleam

Original Poster
So got back from the vet awhile ago and on the way there, he coughed up a whole superworm plus the head of another one. He said there are no signs of a respiratory infection or anything else too concerning. When he looked down Sunny's throat, he saw nothing else and said to keep in touch the next few days to see how he betters or worsens. Might have to be prescribed an anti inflammatory and was suggested to give him a soak. I'll cool it down a bit for him, thought 110 was appropriate. Just letting him rest for now, hopefully we're out of the woods but more than possible we're not. Thanks for the help so far.
PS, a cat foster brought in 3 week old kittens and let me see them, so cute! Made the day a little better.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd cut right back on the superworms . Reserve these to be a weekly treat of maybe 2 or 3 or as bribes.

When a dragon upchucks it's food it's a concern. I'd contact the vet and tell them this happened, you might need to put him on a "liquid diet" for a while to allow him to clear the food (solids) in his GIT.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your boy doing this evening?
Is this the first time he has thrown up like that?
Could he possibly be getting too warm? The basking range of 95-110 is fine. Since he is an
adult, you can get by with lowering it to a range of 95-105.
Did the vet do an x-ray at all, or not yet? It can be difficult to diagnose a respiratory infection if
there aren't that many signs or symptoms of one. It doesn't sound like he has a respiratory
infection yet. Perhaps he got an upset tummy somehow or swallowed water the wrong way as
suggested which he stored in his beard, etc.
Is he still black bearding right now or has that subsided some? You could try getting some
probiotics for him, to help settle his tummy. A couple of good probiotics are a non dairy organic
soy yogurt (flavored or plain) or a non dairy acidophiliz.

Tracie

CheshireGleam

Original Poster
Sunny's going to be going to the vet again tomorrow, he threw up two more worms in pieces. I don't give him supers very often as it is because they're fattening but he hadn't eaten in a couple weeks and I wanted him to at least have something. This is the first time anything like this has happened with him. He was a rescue from around 1 year and 6 months ago, he's been healthy ever since I've had him.

I'll try the yogurt, he's very picky and the vet also recommended me to try again with greens/vegetables. I'll also ask about an x-ray to see if there's anything internal going on. Anything else that I should mention to the vet? His black bearding and paleness haven't subsided either.

Is there any way to get him to eat greens? I've tried grating them, mincing, cutting in tiny pieces, fresh fruit juice to make them more palatable, and at first cut large dubias open and stuffed veggies inside which I'd rather not continue.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He's in distressed w/ the black beard I am glad your taking him in again tomorrow-- the reptile vets here usually suggest critical care herbivore for greens / omnivore for protein mixed 3-1-- mixed w/ water -- fed by syringe 3 ml- and has to be real soupy cuz it is thick-- but / the upset stomach I guess I would see what others think on this and the vet
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My best guess is either

A GIT blockage ?

Or a growth inside the body ?

BBing and very pale & not coping with solids is a very bad sign.

CheshireGleam

Original Poster
Sorry for updating late, just really devastated with what's going on with Sunny. He got an x-ray done and apparently has a broken leg that no one noticed, they said it could be recent or from awhile ago, couldn't tell. I feel awful for not noticing, he's hidden it very well. He's been prescribed Metoclopramide and Meloxicam for his nausea/vomiting and for anti-inflammatory. Tried the yogurt, he won't have any but I'll try again with it and I'll see if I can get some critical care at the pet stores nearby. Still no improvement unfortunately. The vet said the next step would be blood testing to see if he has/is developing a tumor, of which would most likely be cancer. No GIT blockage, he actually went to the bathroom a bit few minutes ago while I was soaking him and nothing abnormal showed up on the x-ray.
If it comes down to it and his quality of life keeps decreasing, my mom and I have agreed that we'll resort to having him euthanized at the vet. Obviously we don't want to and the decision is an extremely difficult one to make, but I don't think it's fair on him to put him through all kinds of tests and/or surgeries if he's suffering especially when he's already at least eleven years old. The vet hinted he could potentially be dying as it is. I'm not going to get emotional on here, but it's heart wrenching that all I wanted for him was to have a comfortable life away from his past one, and here I am unable to ease his pain or help figure out his ailments. Hopefully he'll make a recovery so that this paragraph ends up being null, though I know from experience it may well not be.
I think I've said enough for now, please be understanding as I obviously don't want to be the one who might have to make that call, Sunny's our baby and I wouldn't have taken him in almost two years ago if I didn't want the best for him. Any suggestions are of course welcome.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Dont beat yourself up. Dragons are notorious for hiding injuries, and this is a good example. So was he still able to move around fine and climb up to his basking area?

I know it's hard right now but you can find comfort in knowing that he knows you're trying.

Keep trying with the yogurt, once he gets a taste for it it should be much easier. What are you using yogurt wise?

So have you decided on if you're going to get bloodwork done?

Once again, I know it's hard but we are here for you.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You could try to get HerpaBoost or Crittacare Reptile, of cause Oxbow products are very good too.
HerpaBoost and CrittaCare Reptile are readily accepted by lizards, every lizard I've given these to have loved the stuff and even licked it off my fingers.
Must be yummy .

If the vet doesn't carry these in stock, try online (Ebay even has sellers who sell these in most countries).
It would be worth getting a blood test done to be sure this is not just a bug.

Keep us posted on how things go , I'd discuss with the vet before deciding . His prognosis may be better than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom