My Little Eddy Is Sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

stareddy1

I have a 5 month old bearded dragon Eddy I love him so much he started acting funny not eating and not walking on hind legs just dragging them. I took him to the vet he took xrays and diagnosed he has MBD Eddy limbs are swollen to and he is so weak. The vet gave me liquid calcium to give him. He still is not eating I have to open his mouth to get him to eat. I took him to the vet again today he gave him some liquid food and antibiotics, he said he still may not make it. I am suppose to take him back Thursday for another feeding. My vet is not charging me he is so nice. Does anyone else have a beardey that has been thru this. I got him from a pet store and I have heard that they don't feed them properly. I am so sad and I hurt for my Eddy

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am so sorry to hear this-- what kind of lighting do you have in your tank? Brand and bulb and where is the lights? Are they on top of screen or in tank? Please post a pic of your tank and lighting
Karrie

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
It sounds like you're doing the right thing by taking him to the vet. Correcting any lighting issues, giving calcium, and making sure he stays fed/hydrated are all vital right now. I would suggest looking into Oxbow Critical Care, Repti-boost, or something similar for feeding until he gets back to eating on his own. You can look on this site for tips on providing correct UV and temps.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that getting high quality lighting in place is important. We can help you find a good fit if you'd like. Did the vet say why he was prescribing antibiotics? That may do more harm than good if he isn't suffering from an active infection. The calcium and food should be helpful though. Is the weather nice where you are? If you can bring him outside for some natural sunlight it may be beneficial to him as well.

stareddy1

Original Poster
We took his hammock out and his other big log because he can not climb or get down. I will put him on his hammock but I have to lift him off. He is just lays there with his eyes closed moves just a inch once in a while.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
First off you need to get rid of the UVB coil that I am assuming is in one of those domes-- you need to go to the store and get a Reptisun 10.0 TUBE bulb--- either the T 8 or a T 5 --- I am assuming it will be the T 8 as they are most common --- get it in side the tank approx 6-10 inches from his basking spot - I would get something to put dirctly underneat that UVB -- if you cant get this NOW you can take him outside and let him sit on you in the direct sunlight --- 15 min in the sun will be like 4 hrs of UVB--- you can use command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – plastic zip ties to hang the UVB--- he needs a hide in the tank but I would use that hammock after you get the UVB replaced --- he needs this right away- you will haft to get a fixture / hood for the bulb - when you get home and before putting the fixture in the tank take the cover off the bulb and leave it off - he needs the full effect of those rays- also how are you taking those temps in the tank ? The stick on therometers dont work - you need a digital probe for cool side of tank and a Infrared heat gun to get most accurate temps for basking - that can be bought at Home Depot Walmart for like $10--- so please get that as well
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh dear, little Eddy does not look well, poor thing!
I agree, the compact/coil UVB light you are using, will need to be upgraded to a good tube
bulb for him. The best ones are the Reptisun 10 tube or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% tube.
You can consider getting the T5 which is a higher UVB output than the traditional T8 bulbs
are.
If you do take him outside, do not place him in a glass bin, he will overheat. I would just hold
him on your lap for short stints, so that he can get some sunshine. This may really help him
out.
How much liquid calcium did the vet give you, what is the dose?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am so sorry-- :(--- I was so afraid of that after seeing the pictures-- he did not have the proper lighting for too long
My heart ? is breaking
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom