Bearded dragons toe fell off, and her other is doing the sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy2727

Original Poster
AHBD":1c9khfa7 said:
Be sure the vet is very experienced with beardies or they can do more harm than good and waste your friend's money.
Yeah I will try. It's terrible because where I live there are veey few exotic pet doctors. Due to this they are all extremely expensive....

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You could always call around and see what the prices would be. You might be surprised. Sometimes the vets work with you and are willing to do it for cheaper, even if they don't tell you they are.

-Brandon

Guy2727

Original Poster
claudiusx":3s0kubdq said:
You could always call around and see what the prices would be. You might be surprised. Sometimes the vets work with you and are willing to do it for cheaper, even if they don't tell you they are.

-Brandon
Alright, hopefully something will turn up. If not however, is there anyway this will go away by treating it with the Betadine or Lamisil?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The vet is necessary in the sense that they will confirm if its YF with a scrape. If it is yellow fungus it's very difficult to get rid of. From what I've seen, the lamisil just kind of keeps it at bay as opposed to getting rid of it completely.

Although, I dont have personal experience with YF as I've never had to treat a dragon with it.

I would guess at this point if the YF is the cause of the toes falling off, its systematic and most likely won't be going away. But like I said, no personal experience with it so hopefully someone with some will chime in on a prognosis.

That's why it's important to get to a vet. They can confirm it or not. From there you'll know what's necessary.

-Brandon

Guy2727

Original Poster
claudiusx":1pjzxsm1 said:
The vet is necessary in the sense that they will confirm if its YF with a scrape. If it is yellow fungus it's very difficult to get rid of. From what I've seen, the lamisil just kind of keeps it at bay as opposed to getting rid of it completely.

Although, I dont have personal experience with YF as I've never had to treat a dragon with it.

I would guess at this point if the YF is the cause of the toes falling off, its systematic and most likely won't be going away. But like I said, no personal experience with it so hopefully someone with some will chime in on a prognosis.

That's why it's important to get to a vet. They can confirm it or not. From there you'll know what's necessary.

-Brandon
Alrighty, I'll see what I can do. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it. I do have a question to. If you would take a look at her feet, there seems to be a distinct line of discoloration. The foot is discolored while up it is normal. The pics I've seen of YF show really crusty scales and such. Maybe she is just on later stages of it tho, so idk. I now see where the vet comes in...

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
AHBD":146zif7c said:
The feet don't look like they have Y.F.

I agree, but can not YF go systematic and start doing damage from the inside out? Or am I mistaken?
Or do you have another explanation for the toes? I am genuinely curious as I haven't seen that happening before.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, it does sometimes cause infection or strange wounds to appear and can affect the toes, it' s logical that this might be the case but it doesn't look like the times I've seen it on feet. Sometimes they lose toes from other types of trauma like too much digging or retained shed.

Guy2727

Original Poster
AHBD":3n062mxz said:
Yes, it does sometimes cause infection or strange wounds to appear and can affect the toes, it' s logical that this might be the case but it doesn't look like the times I've seen it on feet. Sometimes they lose toes from other types of trauma like too much digging or retained shed.
So what would I do for the feet then?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can do the same treatment that was mentioned for the tail. Be sure his tank is clean + no loose substrate. Use newspaper with a layer of paper towels on top.

Guy2727

Original Poster
Good news everyone!! This morning I went to check on her and that patch on her tail is shedding away. There is just normal scales underneath:)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great, glad to hear it ! Just keep an eye on it because sometimes Y.F. will fall of + then return but this has not been officially diagnosed so we can definitely hope for the best.

Guy2727

Original Poster
AHBD":15i28agn said:
That's great, glad to hear it ! Just keep an eye on it because sometimes Y.F. will fall of + then return but this has not been officially diagnosed so we can definitely hope for the best.
I will, thank you so much!! I really appreciate your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom