Where to place water bowl?

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Where to place water bowl?

Postby tetriminoss » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:16 pm

Where you do you guys place your water bowls?

Hot side or Cold side?
Name: Tet
Length: 8 "
tetriminoss
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Where to place water bowl?

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:12 pm

I dont use a water bowl but it should go on the cool side from what I have been told
Karrie
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby chrsschb » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:00 pm

No water bowl. We tried it for a while when ours was younger but she never used it. She gets plenty of hydration from food baths.
chrsschb
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:05 am

Water bowls generally go on the cool side along with the food. Some dragons respond to them and drink, some don't. Flicking the water with your fingers to create some movement can help in some cases. As long as you're offering fresh veges and well hydrated bugs that's usually plenty. You can also offer extra hydration by dripping water on their nose to lick up if they want to.
CooperDragon

Postby Ellentomologist » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:19 am

Hiya,

If you use a water bowl, the placement should be determined by the humidity of your dragon's setup. If the humidity is incredibly low (<20%) you should consider placing it on the warm side, if the humidity is higher than that, place it on the cool side. If the humidity gets very high (>55%) the water bowl should be removed. Ideal humidity is about 30%.

Most dragons will not drink from standing water. I am lucky enough that my beardie - Guacamole - does drink from standing water. Instead, they get most of their hydration from the food they eat. This is why a variety of healthy foods - fresh salads and gut loaded insects - is so important. Many beardies will also drink while taking a soak/bath, but make sure to do this safely if you choose to bathe at all (I personally do, 2-4 times a month).

Hope that helps,
-Ellen
About Guac: Full name is Guacamole Kangarilla. 3 year old normal. Picky eater who is often slightly thin as a result. Would eat superworms and blueberries all day, but mom says that is NOT a balanced diet.
About me: Recent graduate working at a research laboratory. Keep many invertebrates, reptiles, and amphibians. Love getting and giving book recommendations. HUGE DnD and tabletop RPG nerd. Sorry if I post the same info right after someone else does, I tend to open many tabs and not refresh.
Ellentomologist
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures