Twitching/spasms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peeps

Hello,

87949-1311723632.jpg
87949-456176941.jpg
87949-5309595019.jpg

To begin this is Bubs, I have posted before about her and here is a picture of her today to let you see her appearance. Eventually I will probably get some bloodwork done but it is very expensive and I am trying to hold off if I can, but I am very curious if something abnormal would show up that is causing her weird spasms.

So since my last post, Bubs has been doing great, she has been eating her greens and bugs normally, however there is something that has not gone away since I noticed it a few months back. She has these spasms in her abdomen on the side, sometimes in her chest region as well but more often right where her belly meets her legs. I purchased a T5 HO bulb that spans about 75% of the tank with a reflector attached to the fixture, just in case this was calcium related, which is what comes to mind with twitching. I dust all of her food with multivitamins a couple times a week and calcium everyday. This is something fairly new though, as she did not do this when she was younger, I have been feeding her the same as I always have been with her greens and crickets. Her last poo was today, was a little soft but still formed and well hydrated. She is very alert and has NOT been acting as if she is going to lay eggs or wants to. She does occasionally scratch but she has always done that even as a baby, as if she is getting comfortable. This lasts about a couple seconds and then she goes to sleep. The veterinarian said about a month ago that she did have eggs and that he could feel them, but that she was likely reabsorbing them. I am wondering if this has to do with that? Though sometimes when I hold her I can feel little spasms in her chest area as well. It had been around the time where she wasn't eating as good as she normally did and her belly seemed very distended. She never ended up laying and it did seem as though she randomly gained her appetite back and began shedding large amounts which had also been awhile since she had done. I attributed this to the calcium that was getting pulled from her body to create the eggs, however this twitch did not go away as I thought it might. She was acting quite weird in the bath the other day as well. Splashing around trying to dig in the little container I have her in when bathing her, she was scratching at her belly with her arm and was kicking her hind legs towards her tail. She is in great overall condition, her appearance is very bright and she is basking everyday, no puffing or black bearding. She is about to have another shed in probably a few weeks. I have palpated her belly in the area she is twitching and it doesn't cause her any discomfort from what I can see. They are more like muscle spasms, or at least that is what it looks like. Sometimes when I am holding her it happens a lot more than when she is in her tank basking, I do have a video of it if anyone is interested, I can send it in an email. I am just wondering what could possibly be causing this? Everything else is normal with her, could it be too much or too little of a vitamin? She is not exhibiting any other symptoms along with this weird oddity and I have yet to read anything on here that mimicks what I am seeing. I am mildly concerned as it seems to be happening a lot more than it used to, so if anyone could get back to me and give me any possible answers that would be great! TIA

-Mykenzie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Bubs does look very good! Bloodwork is expensive so hopefully it wont come to you having
to do bloodwork right now.
Which brand of the T5 HO tube bulb did you purchase?
The calcium can be given 4-5 days per week for babies/juvies & could be dropped to 3 or so
times weekly for adults. How many times per day do you give the calcium, just one time?
Which vitamin brand do you use?
Can she fully support herself on all fours, climb & walk normally?
I see that you did send me an email regarding adenovirus testing, too. :D
You can send me a video via email, if you would like, or upload it to here whichever you prefer.

Has she possibly fallen & hurt her back or neck somehow?

Tracie

Peeps

Original Poster
Alright, so the brand of UVB is Reptisun
I use herptivite for multivitamin and reptical for calcium which I dust her greens and veggies with once a day. She does support herself on all fours and runs/walks/ climbs normally even had a great leap today onto my pillow. She did fall a couple months back off of the counter when I was bathing her and it was onto a tile floor which scared me to death. She does kind of slide off of my bed a lot onto the rug which is about 1ft 1/2 off the ground but she will usually slide until she is about a half a foot and then drop down. Could it possibly be a neck or spine injury that caused this maybe from when she hit the tile floor? If so wouldn't her walking be a bit off or her being in pain at all? As I said she is showing no signs of distress or any abnormal behaviors. I have attached a link of what the twitching looks like. I will see if I can get more too but sometimes it looks as if the muscle on her side is contracting too, kind of hard to explain.
https://vimeo.com/344460271

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

When she fell & hit the tile, did anything break her fall or not?
It is a remote possibility that she did hurt herself. It's a good sign t hough, if she isn't really
showing much in the way of an injury. So, she might not have hurt herself, it's hard to know
for sure, but just a thought.
Since the vet thought she was reabsorbing her eggs she could be having some problems
there with absorption of calcium perhaps. It is very taxing on their systems to actually go
through reabsorbing the eggs. Their livers undergo a lot of stress from having to break down
all of the yolks, then pass them through the body to excrete them.
She looks good overall, & her colors look bright. She hasn't had any black bearding at all?
Great, the Reptisun 10 tube is mounted on top or underneath of the screen?

Tracie

Peeps

Original Poster
No there was not anything to break her fall unfortunately, I did feel her whole body and palpate it to see if anything was causing her any pain just in case, which she seemed fine with, no discomfort that I could see. I too was thinking it might be something to do with the whole egg situation, I’m not sure what would cause the twitching but it has gotten a little more persistent than it was a couple months ago. She is very happy and very active though always trying to run around the house and explore along with a good appetite. She has actually never black bearded ever, I have seen her puff out her beard and open her mouth, actually yesterday at a turtle at the store LOL, but she has never turned black.
The UVB is mounted right under the mesh.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad to hear that the UVB tube is mounted underneath of the mesh so she is getting
good exposure right now.
It is a possibility there could be a few things going on due to egg problems & hopefully she
didn't hurt herself when she fell.
I am glad to hear she hasn't black bearded though, so maybe there are no injuries right now.
How is she doing today? Has she been eating this week?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom