REFUSES TO TRY VEGGIES

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1 yr old BD will not TOUCH a vegetable or greens, she never has. I've tried putting bugs in with the greens, she picks around them to get the bugs, I've tried Dragon Dressing, I've tried every kind of vegetable and fruit it says on this forum is safe, and she literally sticks her nose up at them all.... all she will eat is butterworms and maybe a cricket here or there.
I AM SO FRUSTRATED!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Try getting some dubia roaches --- she needs to eat something different than butterworms they are fattening you can feed her horn worms - what kind of vegies are you feeding there is a nutrition here is a website for that http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html--keep offering her different things - mine is barely eating vegies as well - I put in a nice big salad every day and only feed dubias 2 times per week - he eats butter worms horn worms silk worms - and I just ordered wax worms -
Karrie

advannoy13

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3n36jju1 said:
Try getting some dubia roaches --- she needs to eat something different than butterworms they are fattening you can feed her horn worms - what kind of vegies are you feeding there is a nutrition here is a website for that http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html--keep offering her different things - mine is barely eating vegies as well - I put in a nice big salad every day and only feed dubias 2 times per week - he eats butter worms horn worms silk worms - and I just ordered wax worms -
Karrie

She won't eat dubia's, hornworms, or silkworms, believe me, I've tried so hard! I've tried giving her collards, mustard greens, bok choy, endive, escarole, turnip greens, alfalfa sprouts, cilantro, different veggies like butternut squash, yellow squash, yellow red and green peppers, carrots, a ton of different fruits, I've tried chopping them into tiny pieces, medium and larger pieces, coarsely mixing them together in a food processor, I've made slurries.... and on and on.... I've had her since November and have tried every thing I can find on the beautiful dragon food list and she won't touch any of it. She used to like dubia's a lot but won't even look at them anymore. She's never liked hornworms, and she ate 2 silk worms once and won't touch them anymore. She will eat wax worms but they're worse than butterworms. I'm seriously pulling my hair out over this lol this little girl is going to be the death of me! HELP!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok lets start w/ your tank and lighting -- I find it odd she wont touch anything so I am gonna say lets post a pic of your tank and lighting and go from there
Karrie

advannoy13

Original Poster
103691-5794819803.jpg

22" reptisun 10.0 T5 HO tube and a zoo-med 75W basking light with a 60W regular halogen. About 110° F basking site, 90's on the hot end, low 80's on the cool end.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have the same exact tank - but my basking light is on top of screen w/ a basking spot of about 102-107 depends on the temp of my room --- but he also has different spots that he can bask w/ out being to hot if he wants ---------my UVB is inside the tank w/ a 14% Arcadia - Have you had her checked for parasites or worms- they will cause them not to eat -- I am wondering the if the basking temp could be to hot for her now - can you raise the dome and lower the temp to see if that will make a difference- is she basking for 4 hrs / day ? Those are all reasons for her not to be eating --- I also have a reg Household bulb 60 watt on the cool side --- here is a pic of my tank
97951-6618921375.jpg
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She's definitely pampered- your a great mom- has she ever had a fecal done? Try the basking temps are you taking them w/ a IR heat gun? I would get them down to 97-100 see what happens then if that doesn't work consider a fecal
Karrie

advannoy13

Original Poster
She's had a few fecal tests done, the most recent came back clean and that was probably maybe about 3 to 4 weeks ago, give or take. I'll try moving her basking lamp to the top of her enclosure and see what happens. I have a thermometer inside the tank right on the basking spot and also take the temps with a temp gun every day, they're usually only a couple degrees difference between them.
Also, I noticed that in her last poo (she was in the bath, don't know if that makes a difference) that it seemed like in the very middle of the poo there could've been partly digested butterworms, I could see the same orange color the worms are, is that normal?? Thank you for saying I'm a good mommy, that made me happy and I appreciate it, I love her like my own children, she's very important to me.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How old is the UVB? She's not digesting her food-- is she basking for 4 hrs per day and or are you taking her out in the sun? If she's not basking for 4 hrs that would be why the undigested food-- which leads me to think temp is too high
Karrie

advannoy13

Original Poster
I got this UVB in the beginning of March so it shouldn't be bad yet. I do see her basking a lot, but I'll definitely move her lights to the top on the wire mesh, hopefully that helps. I take her outside as often as I can but weather here has been pretty cloudy and windy lately so I haven't been able to take her out as often as I'd like to. I guess we'll see what happens. Poor baby has just had no luck at all in her little life, I hope I can turn it around for her. Thanks Karrie! I appreciate all your help! I'll keep updating.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok good - get your temp adjusted and let me know what happens - your UVB should be good
Karrie

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Hello there. Have you tried bee pollen sprinkled on top of the greens and bugs she doesn't want to eat? I had an issue with my little girl not wanting to eat greens and the bee pollen helped a lot. It has a sweet nutty flavor to it, which I've been told they love.

:blob8: Vanessa

uscpsycho

vrenee1018":igzag268 said:
Hello there. Have you tried bee pollen sprinkled on top of the greens and bugs she doesn't want to eat? I had an issue with my little girl not wanting to eat greens and the bee pollen helped a lot. It has a sweet nutty flavor to it, which I've been told they love.

:blob8: Vanessa
OMG I just came here to ask a question about bee pollen and saw this post. I don't mean to threadjack the thread but I don't know if my picky eater will be tempted by bee pollen so I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. I was thinking of buying these cheap capsules https://amzn.to/2xfS5pn and using the powder inside. But they contain stearic acid and silica, probably very small amounts and I'm wondering if that is OK. Anyone know?

Now so I'm not totally hijacking I want to make a suggestion to OP. I recently had a thread about this exact same topic. My guy isn't as picky as yours, he'll eat most bugs but refuses to eat veggies and at 4 years old he should be eating more veggies than bugs. So on the advice of people here, I started feeding him baby food with an eye dropper and he loves it. Kind of loves it... He will devour it for about a minute or so and then refuse to eat any more. I know he's not eating enough to get full on the baby food but he'll gobble some up every day and it makes me feel better that he's getting some veggies. I only use the organic baby food of approved beardie veggies and with zero additives.

The label states that it should be used within three days so I split the baby food into a few small containers and stick them in the freezer. Then I defrost one portion at a time and feed it for three days.

You might want to try doing this yourself. I do not force the baby food into his mouth. I just put a dab on his nose and he will start to eat it, then I keep squiring a little bit onto his tongue as he laps it up. Weird thing is that after several weeks of doing this, it still takes him a while to realize there is food on his face at first. He just lets it sit there for a while then gets a taste and then starts to eat it up.

This was fun and cute at first but it has become a major pain in the butt. It makes the morning feeding of my animals take much longer. I'm hoping bee pollen will entice Rufus to eat salad on his own so I can stop the baby food.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
uscpsycho":2mxcimnt said:
OMG I just came here to ask a question about bee pollen and saw this post. I don't mean to threadjack the thread but I don't know if my picky eater will be tempted by bee pollen so I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. I was thinking of buying these cheap capsules https://amzn.to/2xfS5pn and using the powder inside. But they contain stearic acid and silica, probably very small amounts and I'm wondering if that is OK. Anyone know?

Tracie, the vet moderator on here has a site where she sells things for beardies. Bee pollen, liquid calcium, etc. I purchased mine from her website and it wasn't expensive at all. I'd suggest looking there. Her website is: https://bug-de-lite.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom