How often to feed an “occasional” food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilpela92

I know this may sound dumb, and I am pretty knowledgeable about beardies but I’m getting a Uromastyx soon and I’m cross checking the items they can both eat. It got me wondering (if anyone really knows for sure) what is occasional? One feeding a week? One week out of the month? Occasional is a very lose definition for something so important in my opinion and I think it would serve well to many others to talk about this. Thoughts and opinions, hard evidence. All are welcome XD also there may be a thread about this but I couldn’t find it after some extensive searching x.x

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
A completely non-expert view, but when I see Occasional, I take it to mean that you might give it a few times a year just to mix things up, and it could be something you feed them for a few days in an emergency when nothing better is available. Otherwise, I'd leave it out of their diet.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It really is kind of a loose definition. I like to offer as much variety as possible so even including "occasional" feeders on a somewhat regular basis is common for me. I have some staples that I always have on hand like roaches, collard greens, and squash. I rotate in occasional feeders like horn worms, silk worms, black soldier fly larvae every few months or so depending on when I can get them shipped in (a lot of it is availability and weather dependent for live feeders). I rotate in occasional veges as I see them at the store or farmers market. That has more to do with what looks fresh and what is in season.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I interpret it as a loose meaning like cooper. IMO occasional means 1 thing to me - not a staple.

So to me, that means I make the bulk of a salad out of the staple items, and then I might add an occasional item to it but in a smaller quantity, or once or a few times a week add it. To me, occasional = add on item, not the bulk of something.

The most important thing is variety. If the word occasional is preventing you from providing a variety to your dragon, then perhaps we should change the wording from staple, occasional, rare - to Bulk, add-on items, treats.

-Brandon

Kilpela92

Original Poster
Thank you all for the replies! I do the same, I rotate staples every other week or so or what is best in quality I can find at the time. It’s nice to get other views though because it is a very untouched topic in my opinion, though it may perhaps seem common sense for some people it really isn’t because there isn’t enough research on diet yet to have an absolute answer I think. It can be assumed, based on the majority of people’s ideas that are meticulous with their dragons, which is what I like to find out lol. So thanks again everyone and the topic is still open to any and all thoughts, the more the merrier :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom