Please help! Is this tail rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RowanMax1

Petco said no, but I’m worried! Should we take him to the vet?
104933-8843875411.jpg
104933-5030443235.jpg
104933-4463578523.jpg
Here are additional photos- this one taken in May 12. You can see the tip only slightly bent compared to now. It is not dark, but seems dried up.
104933-6372416038.jpg
104933-8198101408.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Doesn't look like tail rot but there is a definite difference in the tip of the tail. Sometimes that can be caused by retained shed pinching the tail and not allowing it to grow. Sometimes it stays that way, sometimes it falls off, sometimes the tip of the tail catches up to the rest of the tail.

As long as their are no open wounds or cuts around that tip i'd just keep an eye on it once a week or so, see how it's progressing.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Those cases are tricky, sometimes it's rot and it creeps up the tail under the scales and you can't see it destroying more tissue until the tail structure shrivels like that part there. Do you know if there was a certain way he wounded it to begin with ? Make a slight mark with a sharpie and if the tail gets worse beyond that point you should have it amputated for sure. It's no big deal, easy surgery [ a small part can be done yourself ] and beardies recover very quickly, usually eating + acting normally the same day.

RowanMax1

Original Poster
Thank you! I posted a few more pics from May 12– you can see it was just a small bit at the tip. It definitely is longernow. But not dark.. just seems dried up.

claudiusx":zf84ig85 said:
Doesn't look like tail rot but there is a definite difference in the tip of the tail. Sometimes that can be caused by retained shed pinching the tail and not allowing it to grow. Sometimes it stays that way, sometimes it falls off, sometimes the tip of the tail catches up to the rest of the tail.

As long as their are no open wounds or cuts around that tip i'd just keep an eye on it once a week or so, see how it's progressing.

-Brandon

RowanMax1

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply! I did not see him get wounded. As he began sheddingand growing, it just seemed to start as a little bent part at the tip, then did not shed with the rest. I posted more pics so you can see the progression.
AHBD":q009710b said:
Those cases are tricky, sometimes it's rot and it creeps up the tail under the scales and you can't see it destroying more tissue until the tail structure shrivels like that part there. Do you know if there was a certain way he wounded it to begin with ? Make a slight mark with a sharpie and if the tail gets worse beyond that point you should have it amputated for sure. It's no big deal, easy surgery [ a small part can be done yourself ] and beardies recover very quickly, usually eating + acting normally the same day.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, it is spreading then. Best to have it cut about 1/4" above where the bad part ends. Is that your son's dragon ? Cute little fella !

RowanMax1

Original Poster
AHBD":26rnpme0 said:
O.K, it is spreading then. Best to have it cut about 1/4" above where the bad part ends. Is that your son's dragon ? Cute little fella !
thanks again...yes, we have him to my son for his birthday. But I supervise the care and feeding of Max! Have an appt at the vet tomorrow. ??

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hope all goes well. They should snip that off as I mentioned, should not need to be put to sleep at all. People even do a small amputation like that at home, beardies don't feel that much in the tail. That's why babies in pet stores may bite parts of each other's tail's off and if they're in good health otherwise it hardly fazes them. Please update after the visit !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom