What do you feed your lizard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been experimenting with ducky’s food a bit and was wondering what everyone else fed their bearded dragon. Ducky gets about one medium collard green leaf a day and a little of whatever other vegetables I have on hand. He also gets a couple of fluker dry pellets and about three of whatever bugs I get that week, usually superworms. I also put calcium on every other day and calcium with d3 every third day. He seems to like this feeding schedule but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or would like to share what they feed their dragons.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I feed my dragon dubia roaches 2 times per week dusted w/ calcium D3 and / or vitamins alternating- he gets a big salad of collard and turnip greens mixed w/ either yellow or zucchini squash w / either apples or grapes or strawberries blueberries or raspberries or whatever I happen to have in the house - he has had dragon fruit - cilantro on occasion - bee pollen--- I have never fed him pellets or anything dried -- it has always been fresh-- and dandelions fresh when they are in season-- he has had mustard greens but I tend not to buy them so often cuz they go bad so fast - so I have found that the collard and turnip greens last longer -- tomorrow he is gonna have blackberries - I have not fed him those yet- I also feed him horn worms -- butter worms and silk worms -- he seems to like all three of those - he is not hot on super worms and I have never fed him meal worms
Karrie

NikkiandDucky

Original Poster
I don’t like to feed him things that aren’t fresh but he gets horrible diarrhea without something dry. Have you ever fed your dragon red cactus pear? Ducky can’t get enough of it and it’s so cool to see him eat. They have it at shop rite where I live. It’s not in season right now so it’s not as good but he still likes it. The best time is around December.

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Guacamole gets a salad every day with the occasional day skipped due to me travelling - no more then twice a month maybe. The reason for the travel is an ailing relative who will likely die soon, and whenever I can I arrange for a pet sitter to give him his salad and clean his tank.

As for the actual salad, I always do 2 types of greens plus a little cilantro. I make my salad in big batches and it stays good for about a week at a time. This week's salad is collard green and mustard greens - probably about 2 cups each - with about half a cup of finely minced cilantro. I'd say about 80% of the time I use collard greens and about 40% of the time I use mustard greens (so about a third of the time the salad is collards and mustard greens), but I also use turnip greens, dandelion greens, and endive. On top of the salad I add an extra veggie/fruit mix that is just little bits of whatever I eat that he can too - usually a little bit of squash, zucchini, shredded carrot, pepper and various berries. Essentially whenever I get something plant based I google if bearded dragons can eat it, and if they can he gets a slice!

Most days I add calcium and multivitamin to his salad. It tends to stick really well to the leaves compared to my feeder insects. If he isn't eating his salad as eagerly/happily as he normally does for a while, I will add some bee pollen to the calcium/vitamin mix I use. I use Rep-Cal brand as much as possible as it's the one I personally prefer, but since I do some rescue and often get supplies with the animals I rescue I'm not picky. That's one of the reasons I mix my supplements. Usually I do 3 parts calcium with D, 2 parts calcium without D, 3 parts multivitamin for all my animals (a benefit of mixing it that way is I don't have to keep track of what supplement to give which day). On the days I use bee pollen, I use 2 parts supplement mix with 1 part bee pollen.

As far as feeders go, I am an indulgent beardie mama and almost always give Guac a few bugs a day (3-5). He only gets 2 or 3 real feeder days a week though, when he can really hog out on them once I get home. His staple is dubia roaches which I keep a large breeding colony of. Since mealworms are so easy to breed, he also gets those with some frequency, but more as enrichment than a actual food source - I will add maybe a half dozen to his salad after I get home and he enjoys foraging for them through his salad. Since superworms are easy to keep long term, I buy them by the thousand and feed them to Guac maybe twice a month. Guac also gets crickets as leftovers a couple times a month, as I own a toad who refuses every other feeder insect except crickets.

Wax worms, horn worms, Phoenix worms/BSFL, and silk worms are occasional additions to his diet. I would say he gets one of these about twice a month.

In total, I would say he eats about 55% dubia roaches, 10% crickets, 10% supers, and 25% other (usually horn worms or BSFL).

I also have some liquid diet and Beardie Buffet that I use just frequently enough that I wouldn't consider it just a back-up food... Essentially whenever I am a bit concerned about hydration I'm break one of the two out, and since he really likes both of them I don't see the harm in a once a month treat even though they're both reconstituted powders instead of "real food". Plus I have a blind leopard gecko that I need to make the liquid diet for twice a month anyway, so having Guac use the left over as salad dressing helps with his hydration and get his more excited for his greens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom