Beardie Puffing when Breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellamatarazzo

Hello everyone!
This is my first time using this website and posting on a forum, so hopefully I am doing it right! I have a 2 year old beardie at home named Nellie. She eats superstorms every 1-2 days and eats greens everyday. She does have calcium and vitamins with her food but probably not as often as she should. She has proper UV lighting in her tank and has a purple heat lamp at night. She is extremely energetic and plays outside her tank quite often. She does not seem lethargic or off in any way, but her breathing is really starting to concern me. She has been having episodes for a few minutes nearly everyday where she puffs her beard out very large as she's breathing, almost as if she is struggling. This only happens for a few breaths and then she is fine again.. she is a bit of a bigger dragon but I don't believe she is unhealthy after reading about some other beardie's weight on a different forum. I have not yet taken her to the vet because I was hoping to see if anyone else had experienced something similar & has an explanation. Thank you for reading my post, I appreciate anyone's help! :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get rid of the purple light --- colored bulbs hurt dragons eyes and can cause long term eye damage! The puffing of the beard is it in the morning after you get her up? Mine puffs his beard out every morning --- its called stretching! What kind of UVB do you have in her tank? I had to ask w/ the purple light you have in the tank ----------- there should be no lights on at nite when they sleep - they need the darkness to slow their metabolism so they can get a good nights rest----------
Karrie

bellamatarazzo

Original Poster
KarrieRee":17x7ydre said:
Please get rid of the purple light --- colored bulbs hurt dragons eyes and can cause long term eye damage! The puffing of the beard is it in the morning after you get her up? Mine puffs his beard out every morning --- its called stretching! What kind of UVB do you have in her tank? I had to ask w/ the purple light you have in the tank ----------- there should be no lights on at nite when they sleep - they need the darkness to slow their metabolism so they can get a good nights rest----------
Karrie

Thank you for the reply! I will stop using that immediately.. I believe I have a 100W "neodymium basking bulb", as well as the 5.0 UVB Reptisun Lamp. Also, the time of day varies, sometimes morning, sometimes evening!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes seems I have haerd about those basking bulbs- does it have like a yellowish tint? If it does please replace w/ a bright white basking bulb--- the 5.0 is ok but I would replace when you can w/ a 10.0 tube bulb--- the T 8 is not as strong a bulb as the T 5-- the 5.0 is more aquariums
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom