New beardie owner.. Need HELP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelissaP

Hello. I went to the per store to get my dog some stuff and ended up buying my son a fancy bearded dragon. The guy that was helping us was a new guy and didn't have much to offer. I feel like a new parent that doesn't have a clue as to what to do. I got the Zoo Med™ ReptiHabitat® Bearded Dragon 40 Gallon Terrarium Kit. I also got a few extra things for him/her to sit on. I don't know if these lamps that came with it are what I need or if I need something different? How many times a day should we feed it? What should we feed him as a baby? We have a heating pad under the tank, do we need this? Do we leave it on at all times? Can we hold him now or do we wait? My little guys are anxious. Can we hold him after he eats? What kind of thermostat do I need? I have one that came with it but unsure if its a good one. The tank I got is a 40 GAL one and it came with sand and it says its good for them but your site doesn't recommend it. Should we not use it at all? Do we leave the food in the cage if he doesn't eat the food right away? How do you determine how much and ho often to feed them? Can you have too much in the tank with him? When do you suggest we take him outside? I literally just have so any questions and feel like when you talk to the people at the pet store and look online you get so many conflicting answers. I just want to make sure he is happy and healthy.
Thanks in advance.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
MelissaP":2zd25gda said:
Hello. I went to the per store to get my dog some stuff and ended up buying my son a fancy bearded dragon. The guy that was helping us was a new guy and didn't have much to offer. I feel like a new parent that doesn't have a clue as to what to do. I got the Zoo Med™ ReptiHabitat® Bearded Dragon 40 Gallon Terrarium Kit. I also got a few extra things for him/her to sit on. I don't know if these lamps that came with it are what I need or if I need something different? How many times a day should we feed it? What should we feed him as a baby? We have a heating pad under the tank, do we need this? Do we leave it on at all times? Can we hold him now or do we wait? My little guys are anxious. Can we hold him after he eats? What kind of thermostat do I need? I have one that came with it but unsure if its a good one. The tank I got is a 40 GAL one and it came with sand and it says its good for them but your site doesn't recommend it. Should we not use it at all? Do we leave the food in the cage if he doesn't eat the food right away? How do you determine how much and ho often to feed them? Can you have too much in the tank with him? When do you suggest we take him outside? I literally just have so any questions and feel like when you talk to the people at the pet store and look online you get so many conflicting answers. I just want to make sure he is happy and healthy.
Thanks in advance.
Ok first you are gonna want to eventually upgrade your tank to a bigger one- like a 75-120 gallon tank-- he will be able to stay in this one for a while so I would suggest you change out that sand to a textured non adhesive shelf liner from Home Depot or Lowes- its cheap easy to clean w/ vinegar / water mixed 50/50 in a spray bottle - the bugs cannot get underneath- sand causes impaction!
Next you need to get rid of the coil UVB I am guessing that came w/ the tank - they are no good and this is what you need for that Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
this needs to be done ASAP--- Next you need a good bright white basking bulb - that may have come w/ the tank - temps for basking should be 105-110 for a baby---
Babies need to be fed 2 times per day crickets or dubia roaches I recommend roaches -- they way healthier here is some info on those
Dubias
• Wide range of sizes
• Long life span
• Excellent nutrition
• Easy to digest
• High in protein
Convenient for you
• Odorless and soundless
• Will not infest your home
• Can be stored out of sight
• Easy to care for
• Cannot jump, fly or climb
They can be kept in a 10 gallon tank and fed carrots squash apples strawberries etc NO greens they tend not to like greens ------- they can be ordered on line thru many suppliers - check out the feeding board on this site
Bugs need to be dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and w/ vitamins 2 x per week -- a fresh salad of greens should be offered daily - he may or may not eat it as the bugs are his main diet now- but still offer here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html--- Do not leave crickets in the tank they bite and can cause infection- dubias are ok they dont bite - he needs to eat as many bugs in 10-15 minutes ---
Please get rid of the heating pad --- if you need extra heat in the tank please get a Ceramic Heat Emitter - it goes in a dome hood and has no light -- they come in different wattage bulbs- you should only have white lights for the tank if you want extra lighting for the cool side of the tank put in a regular house hold bulb like 60 watt---
Basking temps should be taken w/ a Infrared heat gun bought from Walmart Lowes or Home Depot for around $10 --- you should have a digital probe thermometer on the cool side of the tank --
You can get him used to your hand and in the tank -- he is probably going to go thru relocation stress and may quit eating but just be patient and he will come around - take a piece of clothing or soft fleece and put in his hide - it will get him used to your smell--
I cannot stress enough the importance of the lighting --- it is crucial to their over all health behavior and digestion --------------- if you have more questions please ask ---- I know I just gave you a ton of info here but it is so crucial that your have it for your dragon to be healthy and stay that way-- I would suggest you not take him outside as of yet -- he is really small and you can loose him very quickly as they are very fast -- as for the pet store people DONT listen to them they have not a clue as to how to take care of a dragon unless they actually own one themselves and then I would still be leary! Bad advice from pet store people usually ends up w/a dead dragon!
Karrie

MelissaP

Original Poster
How long can I keep him in the 40 GAL tank? I am still a little confused on the heating. My tank is staying at around 95 and not getting any hotter. I got a digital thermometer on the hot side and the one that came with the tank on the cool side. The cool side is at 85 and the humidity is at around 50. I cant seem to get them to regulate. Can I send you pictures and you tell me what I need to change out? I have read so much and it doesn't seem to be clear. The pet store had us give works instead of the crickets because they didn't have any left. We have been doing around 3 a day because that is all he will eat.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Go to top of this page in the banner click on user image uploader-- download pics-- go to top of message box click on XIMG-- pics should post-- worms? What kind of worms? Babies should not be eating worms super or especially meal worms as a staple- I would get some dubia roaches ordered ASAP-- look on line he should be eating baby dubias-- they should be no bigger than the space between his eyes- same w/ crickets-- for now find another pet store that has crickets-- they will need to be kept in a cricket keeper and fed carrots or cricket food or both- they are harder to keep than roaches-- they die off quicker--but please get him some crickets for now+-- ok so -- w/ the pic I see a dome I have assumed that is a coil UVB--- get rid of it--- I sent info on the UVB-- and you have reptile carpet that is good - I think I sent info on substrate as well -- please get a infrared heat gun temps need to be 105-110 for him--you want an actual basking temp stick ons are not accurate- cool side of tank should be 80's during day - not below 65 at nite--- humidity should not be above 70- you can take the water dish out and it will bring humidity down - give him a bath every other day to keep him hydrated- warm bath-- see if he will drink while in the bath-- drop water on his nose to see if he will lick it off-- if you haft to print off my responses w/ the info I sent so you have it to get the things you need-- he can be in this tank till he's around a year - adults should be in a tank around 75-120 gallon--

Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
UVB does not give off heat-- and you don't want it the whole length of tank--- he needs to be able to get away from the UVB-- so your tank is a 40 gallon?-- I would look at getting a 22" or 24" fixture- go to this website www.pangeareptiles.com-- look for zoomed reptisun fixture and bulbs- they come w/ a 5.0 bulb but you want a 10.0 either a T 5 or T 8 so order that bulb too-- the 5.0 is more for an aquarium-- the T 5 takes a flat fixture- let me know what you get so I can help w/ how far it needs to be in tank---
Karrie

MelissaP

Original Poster
So all of the lights need to be inside of the tank? Do you have a picture of what it should look like?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No the basking light can sit on top - you want to get a infrared heat gun so you can take the basking temp of where he sits -- the UVB is the only one that would need to go inside the tank depending on the screen mesh on top - if its a fine mesh like most are it needs to go inside -- if its a wide whole and you buy a T 5 bulb it can sit on top of screen -- the screen filters out alot of the UVB rays thats why its recommended it go inside the tank --- Here is a pic of my tank it is a 120 gallon tank and I have a UVB fixture for a T 5 bulb which is the Arcadia 14% bulb - it is a strong bulb
97951-6618921375.jpg
The basking light is on top left the little dome in the middle is the CHE which is off now cuz its summer and the UVB is in the tank -- if you can see the other dome on the far right is a reg dome w/ a household bulb in there for extra light 60 watt
Karrie

MelissaP

Original Poster
I am still confused. You said to get rid of the lights I have and get the reptisun 10.0 UVB but that is what I have. I have a digital thermometer on the warm side and it has stayed in the high 80's today. I can't figure out how to get it hotter? My friend has the same digital one and got the laser but they are showing different numbers. The digital says 80's and the gun says 120 where he lays? which one do you go off of?
I got the crickets today and green veggies. He did not eat the veggies but only ate 3 crickets. Should he still be eating several times a day and more than that?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
MelissaP":3e9vvyh3 said:
I am still confused. You said to get rid of the lights I have and get the reptisun 10.0 UVB but that is what I have. I have a digital thermometer on the warm side and it has stayed in the high 80's today. I can't figure out how to get it hotter? My friend has the same digital one and got the laser but they are showing different numbers. The digital says 80's and the gun says 120 where he lays? which one do you go off of?
I got the crickets today and green veggies. He did not eat the veggies but only ate 3 crickets. Should he still be eating several times a day and more than that?
If you have the Reptisun 10.0 is it the T 8 bulb or a T 5 bulb--- go off the infrared heat gun - 120 is too hot-- his tank on the cool side should be around 80 high 80's is to warm - that is probably why he is not eating-- he should be eating as many crickets as he can in 10-15 minutes-- basking temp should be 100-110 no warmer-- the T 8 needs to be 8-10 inches from basking the T 5 10-11 inches it is a stronger bulb
Karrie

MelissaP

Original Poster
The lights are Large Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture, ReptiSun 10.0 Compact UVB Fluorescent Bulb, and Repti Basking Spot Lamp.

MelissaP

Original Poster
I am running to the store tonight to grab that infrared gun to see what the temps are. That digital one I have says its in the 80's. Yesterday it was in the 90's. Not sure why it changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom