New Beardie is Doing Odd Actions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cTreazy

Hi I have had my beardie for about a week now. He is about 6-7 inches long so I would say he is 2-3 months old. Anyway he’s been having some odd behavior as of lately. First off I gave him a bath a day or two ago. Ever since then he has been having his mouth open sometimes. He does it when he basks and other times throughout the day. It almost looks like he is burping. His chest puffs out then his neck then he opens his mouth. He breathes fine other times this is just something he does on occasion. He’ll also keep his mouth open but usually while he is basking or after so I think it’s to regulate his heat. Anyway should I worry about the burp like action? Another thing I’ve noticed is he is closing his right eye a good amount. Usually when I go over to see what he is doing he has it closed. It doesn’t have any discharge or anything around the eye. When he opens it seems fine and like the other eye. Sometimes he keeps the right open and the left eye closed. Is this normal? I read it could be too bright of a bulb, but I’m using a Reprisun uvb 5.0 compact. Is this too bright? He’s also in a 20 gallon tank. Thank you for the help! I think I’m worrying too much since he is young and I want everything to work out. Anyway thank you!!!

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. The compact uvb is more than likely causing him to close his eye. You definitely want to replace it with the reptisun 10. 0 t5 long tube. What kind of basking light are you using?

cTreazy

Original Poster
destiny1998":1qedc7hp said:
Hi. The compact uvb is more than likely causing him to close his eye. You definitely want to replace it with the reptisun 10. 0 t5 long tube. What kind of basking light are you using?

Oh okay! And my basking bulb came with the uvb bulb. It is a Zoomed Reptibasking bulb 100 watt. It gets to about 102 on his basking spot. Thank you for the help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom