Keeping away fireflies and lightning bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requiemk626

Original Poster
Thank you, CooperDragon, for the charcoal kit link! I think I will order that just in case. The thing I fear the most is that one of the beardies will eat a firefly when I'm not looking, and then they might die suddenly and I wouldn't even get the chance to administer the charcoal.

I hate to ask this because it might stir up bad memories, but does anyone know the progression of symptoms when a beardie eats a firefly? I know they say that the beardie will die within two hours of consumption, but does anyone know the point at which administering charcoal does not help anymore because their bodies have absorbed too much of the toxin into their system? From looking at some digitalis toxicity management protocols for humans, it looks like after the initial GI decontamination the next step is addressing the electrolyte imbalance, and then IV infusions, and then management of abnormal heart rhythms. If anyone has a log in to unlock this full article from Medscape... that would be really cool!

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/154336-treatment

I know there's little we non-medical people can do at home to address these issues... I certainly can't shock my beardie's heart back into a normal rhythm. But maybe addressing an electrolyte imbalance is possible, depending on how it needs to be addressed? If one could get out in front of that problem, one may be able to stop the worst of the abnormal heart rhythms, maybe?

CooperDragon":2842scwa said:
You mix the charcoal well with water and offer it via syringe or dropper. I highly recommend one of Tracie's kits because the mixing is easy to do and the instructions are clear. It has been very helpful when I'm in a panic. https://bug-de-lite.com/Item/Emergency_Charcoal_Kit

I noticed a lightning bug in the house yesterday so Darwin's mesh tank lid had to go back on (I usually leave it off). It noticeably cuts down on the light and heat getting into the tank so I had to make some adjustments. I double checked the sweeps under each door to make sure they are secure. This one must have gotten in while one of the doors was open.
Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom