First feeder purchase! So exciting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMG07

Okay. Need to order feeders tonight.

Our new addition will be here on Tuesday and we are so excited.

He is currently measuring 11 inches.

I am wanting to use BSFL and Dubia as our staple feeders if he takes to them. I believe he's currently on crickets and I'll pick up some of those in person tomorrow at my locally owned pet store just to be careful, I'd like to have a feeder he is accustomed to already here and gut loaded for a couple days.

So. How many BSFL should I order at a time for now?
How many Dubia? Just wondering what the average is, I know each lizard is a it different.

Also, are silkworms appropriate at this size? I'd like him to have diversity. What I've seen so far leads me to believe introducing silkworms or butterworms would be good as well, I thought of alternating those some.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A little guy like that can go through a LOT of bugs so it's good you're ordering a bunch. I'd probably start with a 500 pack of BSFL since they're so small. The packs tend to last a while at room temp too. You probably want a mix of roaches (no adults at this point unless you want to start a colony) maybe 250 or so. Silk worms are another good idea. I think they usually come in 25 packs with chow or you can get eggs and raise your own (cheaper but more time consuming). I'd probably just start with a 25 pack and see how they go. If the roaches go over well, check local listings to see if someone nearby has a colony they are trying to sell or if they are giving away/selling some extras. It can take several months to establish a roach colony (Depending on size, how many adults you have, etc) so it's good to have a large source available nearby if you want to take that route.

LMG07

Original Poster
CooperDragon":36m87lnf said:
A little guy like that can go through a LOT of bugs so it's good you're ordering a bunch. I'd probably start with a 500 pack of BSFL since they're so small. The packs tend to last a while at room temp too. You probably want a mix of roaches (no adults at this point unless you want to start a colony) maybe 250 or so. Silk worms are another good idea. I think they usually come in 25 packs with chow or you can get eggs and raise your own (cheaper but more time consuming). I'd probably just start with a 25 pack and see how they go. If the roaches go over well, check local listings to see if someone nearby has a colony they are trying to sell or if they are giving away/selling some extras. It can take several months to establish a roach colony (Depending on size, how many adults you have, etc) so it's good to have a large source available nearby if you want to take that route.

Thanks for the response.

So, he is eating 1/2" crickets at current. Would he be eating the same size roaches?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah probably around the same size roach. It really depends on how well he can handle and chew down a bug regarding how much he should be offered. The roaches are a bit bulkier than crickets so he may wind up eating fewer at a time which is OK.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I only ordered roaches recently (when Caesar decided he no longer fancies crickets).

Now they are breeding and I'm using the weenie roaches to feed Godzilla my 40mm long (yes that's nose to tip of tail) hatchling G.Hyra Dubia gecko).

I wont be ordering (woodies) roaches again - you think crickets are fast …. these guys make cricket look like slow coaches, everytime to try to get a few of the big woodies out to give to Caesar I loose one or two and they disappear FAST under stuff.
The weenie roaches are more manageable.

If your new little hatchling likes and is used to crickets , I'd keep on using them.

LMG07

Original Poster
Thanks again Cooper :) It's appreciated.

kingofnobbys":24bnymo9 said:
I only ordered roaches recently (when Caesar decided he no longer fancies crickets).

Now they are breeding and I'm using the weenie roaches to feed Godzilla my 40mm long (yes that's nose to tip of tail) hatchling G.Hyra Dubia gecko).

I wont be ordering (woodies) roaches again - you think crickets are fast …. these guys make cricket look like slow coaches, everytime to try to get a few of the big woodies out to give to Caesar I loose one or two and they disappear FAST under stuff.
The weenie roaches are more manageable.

If your new little hatchling likes and is used to crickets , I'd keep on using them.

Hey,

I read your entire thread on Godzilla. I've been lurking for months. He's adorable.

Thanks for the advice. I know I'm going to have to learn as I go in a lot of ways. I know the important stuff, but still figuring things out.

He will be four days shy of 2 months when I get him and he's already over 11 inches. He's a big growing boy.

I went ahead and picked some roaches up with my crickets at the local pet store. They're all eating well and they seem to be a comparable size. I was told by the breeder he wouldn't have a problem with 3/4" crix, but I've stuck with 1/2" on both for safety.

I know about the medical and vet care side of things. Still learning the day to day owner things, so any miscellaneous advice is appreciated from both of you (or anyone else). I have stalked so many threads new and old looking for information that I may not think to ask, and I've also made very good use of the search bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom