Interested in a beardie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lillie

alrighty folks, I’m Lillie! I’m a 14 year old who’s uh, well, obsessed with animals to say the least. Currently I have four birds, and am on a parrot forum for their info, but for a little over a year I’ve been considering bringing in a reptile. I was originally set on a leopard gecko, but I don’t think I’m great with traditionally non-affectionate animals, as my birds are all very cuddly and enjoy human interaction. Not that leopard geckos don’t, but they aren’t known for it... at least compared to these guys! Now.. I have met one (other than at like. Petco) and it was amazing how inquisitive he was! It was clear that he was interested and scoping me out... which I found pretty cool. My dad doesn’t like reptiles, but he didn’t like birds before we got them, and I’d say he loves our birds as much as I do. They’re apart of the family! My dad, flat out said no to a gecko, which upset me but hey! What can you do... so I brought up a beardie to him! He told me he does find them “significantly cooler” and that if I save up I can get one... which gives me a lot more of a chance than I had with a gecko! Anyways, this forum seems pretty cool and I’m happy to be here!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! A bearded dragon may be an excellent choice for you. Just be sure to do your research and be prepared ahead of time. There are some general care guides available in the menu on the right side of the page. I suggest going through those first, and feel free to ask us any specific questions you have. I advise being prepared to invest in a high quality UVB light like this http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ and a fairly large enclosure (adult size is minimum of around 4'x2'x2') like this https://www.zenhabitats.com/products/zen-habitat-w-substrate-shield. You'll also want to plan out what kind of staple foods you want to offer and if you choose to start a colony (dubia roaches for example) get that started ahead of time so you have enough to feed a growing dragon - they can eat a LOT during their growth spurts. It's also good to have an emergency fund saved to cover any unexpected costs including vet care. With proper planning and investment I think you may really enjoy having a dragon buddy around the house with you =).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom