Possible overdose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notta

While my beardie (2 months old) isn't looking like hes about to die, I'm really worried I may have caused damage. I listened to a friend about how he dusts things because I learn easier in person than reading on the internet and he said to use reptivite which has calcium d3 and vitamins for every feeding, and like an ***** I listened. Today I did research and learned that at most a baby beardie should only get multivitamins 3 times a week and calcium once a day. On top of that I have a 10.0 uvb tube (reptisun) so he shouldn't even need d3. Currently he still has a good amount of strength. When I take him out of his tank he will crawl all over but over the last day or two hes been eating quite a bit less than before. This could be from a shed he just finished today but given what I've learned it could be more. I give him daily baths which he doesn't normally drink from but he still should get enough water from absorbing it. I ordered rep-cal calcium with d3, without d3, and the multivitamins. I read some horror stories about overdoses and I really hope I caught this early enough. It's been about two weeks of this dusting routine. For now I'm going to stop dusting his food entirely until I get the non vitamin powder as to not cause anymore possible harm.

Also one more thing. He will only eat kale. He wont eat fruits or anything else. I tried giving him collards, different squashes and fruit, carrots, but he will only eat kale. Is this normal and how do I go about fixing it. And is 88 in the cool end too high? No matter what I do I cant cool down the tank. (While I know this may not be health questions I feel bad spamming this website with multiple posts a day)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it sounds like he's still doing fine and a slight lack of appetite can often be attributed to shedding. :) So that short amount of time prob. would have no effect. Just use a multi vit. 1-2 X a week, very lightly. Calcium with D3 1-2 X very lightly , without D3 the rest of the days very lightly on one meal. Kale is fine but keep offering the others every now + then. He's still a baby so as he gets older he may develop a taste for more types of greens. :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think you'd need to provide an awful lot of d3 to cause an overdose so that's probably not the case. I do suggest dusting live bugs with calcium supplement at every meal - a light, even coat will do. You can sub in a multivitamin once or twice a week if you wish to. Offering a variety of bugs when you can is also a good idea. Try things like black soldier fly larvae and silk worms on occasion. Since he's so young, he may ignore a lot of veges and that's pretty common. Just make them available so they are familiar as a food source. He will likely dig into them more as he gets older.

Which Reptisun 10 tube do you have? How far is it from the main basking spot? It's still a debated topic, but as of now it appears that the amount of UVB provided has an effect on D3 synthesis. If you have a UVB light that is producing daylight levels of UVB, then they are likely able to synthesize their own D3. If you have lower levels of UVB (type of bulb and distance affects this) then you can supplement using calcium with D3 added. Repashy makes a low dose D3 version that is a nice compromise. The Rep-Cal is a commonly used option as well and should work.

Notta

Original Poster
Ok. I have been feeding him crickets and over the last two days he's been not eating very many so I fed him a few wax worms which he ate happily. The crickets are getting too big though so I'm going to try and give them away. I live in Florida so I can't get dubia but I'm going to try and start a discoid collony.

(I forgot to read the bottom paragraph somehow, sorry xD)
this is the reptisun bulb he has: https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-26061-Reptisun-Fluorescent/dp/B00AQU8HAO/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=reptisun&qid=1561058419&s=gateway&sr=8-5

His basking log can get him to around 8-9 inches from it and I leave it on 12 hours a day. I leave it on top of the screen lid since its a slide on and wouldn't work strapped to the underside, and I cant leave the lid on since I have a cat.

This is his basking light: https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptile-Basking-Watts/dp/B01BJF37NQ/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=75+watt+basking+bulb&qid=1561058556&s=gateway&sr=8-4

It is next to the uvb hood so that he gets both while basking. It keeps the highest part of his log at around 110 - 116 but a bit down its 108-110 and he stays in that spot most of the time.

Notta

Original Poster
Also his tank is 40 gal so the light doesnt cover the entire thing and he can mostly get away from it if needed.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your lights are good but you need to switch to a 50 watt. I forgot to answer your Q, but yes, 88F is too high for the cool end so the heat bulb should be swithched ASAP.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Or if you could raise the heat lamp up a bit that may help. Sometimes adjustable lamp stands are good for this. Those bulbs are technically dimmable, but they make a horrible buzzing sounds so it's best to adjust the height or the wattage as mentioned. If he's eating wax worms but not crickets, he's probably just sick of the crickets and being stubborn. I'd try the crickets again in a little while. The discoid colony is a good idea too. You can also get silk worms from Coastal Silk Worms near Jacksonville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom