Bearded dragon had diarrhea today.. when to be concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Hey everyone. So my bearded dragon had diarrhea today. Part of it is somewhat solid, but overall it's pretty runny (the way she pooped it out made it clear it was diarrhea) and covered in brown liquid. There is a urate that looks kind of broken apart. Part of it is white and part of it is not, but I'm not sure if that's just because it got soaked in the brown liquid. I took a picture of it but I'm not sure it's necessary for anyone to see (though if anyone disagrees, I can post it).

This is the first time she has pooped since laying her second clutch of eggs about a week ago. She had a fecal exam done in late March that came out normal, but I realize things could have changed since then. The only other times she had runny stool like this was right before she laid eggs, where she would have multiple tiny poops a day that would be surrounded by water. But they were so small I don't even know if it was really diarrhea. I should also mention that a few days ago she spent a night at someone else's house. It's a long story, but basically I was supposed to go on a trip so I brought her and her tank to my sister's apartment, but then my trip got cancelled the next day so she's back home with me.

Since laying her second clutch, she has had a great appetite. Just this morning she was enjoying some collard greens. In addition to veggies, I've been feeding her dubia roaches and some superworms. Her temperatures are normal and she has been basking every day like normal (she's doing it right now). I've been bathing her a few times a week but I might change that to every day if it will help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't know how concerned I should be about this diarrhea and what my next steps are. I've gone through a lot with her (her being diagnosed with MBD right when I got her, her not eating for two weeks due to eggs, etc), so I really want to make sure everything is okay.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about it much unless it continues like that for several weeks or she starts to act lethargic. She may just have an upset stomach which happens from time to time. It's not necessarily a sign of a problem. Do keep an eye out for anything in her poop that looks like yolk though, since she has recently laid eggs. That could indicate a problem with the egg development and would need to be addressed.

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you. I'll be sure to monitor it. Like I said, her behavior and appetite have been completely normal. Hopefully it's not anything more serious than an upset stomach. I didn't see anything that looked like yolk thankfully.

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Her poops have been normal since my original post, but today she pooped out what looked like clear water. She had a normal poop earlier today but then a few hours later some clear-ish looking water with a white urate came out of her. Does anyone have any idea what this could mean?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good to hear they have been back to normal. Has she eaten anything that is very hydrating recently? It sounds like she is just passing some excess liquid through her system which should be OK.

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1atofqsu said:
It's good to hear they have been back to normal. Has she eaten anything that is very hydrating recently? It sounds like she is just passing some excess liquid through her system which should be OK.

Not that I can think of, but she does sometimes drink water in the bath. Apart from that it's mostly veggies (mainly collard greens) and dubia roaches. However, since I posted my last comment Liz has been showing signs of laying another clutch of eggs. I'm wondering if this all might be related to that since every time right before she lays eggs there have been changes in her poop (especially with it having excess liquid).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I just saw that on your other thread. Yes this could very well be related to that. Do keep offering her plenty of water and fresh food.

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":15rhvkz7 said:
I just saw that on your other thread. Yes this could very well be related to that. Do keep offering her plenty of water and fresh food.

Oh sorry, I hope it's not getting too confusing that I have two threads up. Ok, I will thanks. I've been offering her veggies every day but she is refusing them for the most part (she maybe will take a bite or two). I put her in her lay box for an hour today but she wasn't ready. I think it might be a few more days until she's ready to lay eggs, if that's indeed what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom