here is a weird question :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
does or has anyone ever kept some of their beardie skin? lol because I use a clear phone case and put some my beardie skin behind my phone as a little keepsake haha :D

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
It is pretty fascinating stuff, especially when it's shaped like spikes or some other recognizable bit. I think if I had a microscope, I'd probably keep it around a little while to look at, but I don't so it all goes in the bin or vacuum at my house.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Yep, have a piece of back skin shed. It is a nice chunk that still shows that beardie pattern and it has held up well in a drawer. Next time she sheds her back I will try pressing it, then frame it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I've seen bearded dragon's that had presumeably been killed ( in a cottage industries run by local aboriginals (who I was told send the little kiddies out to catch them), which were killed and then skinned and their skins put on foam bearded dragon shaped bodies .
I was told the families eat the dragon meat, and the skins are just a byproduct. They regard the dragons as traditional bush tucker and are legally permitted to catch and kill them on their reserves.

Last time I saw these nasty little souvenirs as well as croc skins (sold as belts, shoes, handbags, etc) , this was way back in 2000 when we were doing a 4x4 driving safari that involved circumnavigating the country (Australia) by mostly staying near the coast , saw them for sale in souvenir shops in Darwin, Cairns, Broome, Perth, and few other places frequented by international tourists. They were literally flying off the shelves every time a coach load of tourists showed up.

I keep some of my beardies lol. My friend came round and she was like “ewww what is that? Is that from like your foot or something??” And I lay on the floor laughing for like 10 mins lol!! ?

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Dragons don't eat their shed MrSpectrum. I don't know why, but I knew that before having a dragon. It was news to me that some lizards do eat their shed, that's crazy

I did not know dragons shed in chunks before having one myself. I never had a teeny baby dragon. Got Devlyn at 6 months old. The dragon I had growing up must have been about between 4 to 6 months old when I got him...so I was used to dragons not shedding all that often.

Have a cool chunk comparison Devlyn gave me. 8 months old and 12 months old her back shed. She keeps shedding her legs, toes, tail, and head. But only shed her back twice for me. Maybe that's normal? Not sure but she seems okay

103228-9859502948.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They can eat their shed but they usually dont. It's more a curiosity's type of thing as opposed to other lizards that actually do it as a behavioral/survival trait.

I've had dragons who would nibble at it. But never a dragon that seemed to enjoy it lol.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
DorgEndo":3hkopgzk said:
Dragons don't eat their shed MrSpectrum.
Mr. SPECTRUM (the original Green Anole I had as a kid) did. That and some vids of geckos must be where I got the impression all lizards did. :oops:

No problem, but I don't think I'll be keeping any--it skeeves the missus out! :p

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
MrSpectrum":p6j4x5ay said:
DorgEndo":p6j4x5ay said:
Dragons don't eat their shed MrSpectrum.
Mr. SPECTRUM (the original Green Anole I had as a kid) did. That and some vids of geckos must be where I got the impression all lizards did. :oops:

No problem, but I don't think I'll be keeping any--it skeeves the missus out! :p
Oh...I had some green anoles as a kid. I would pull out extra shed but I don't remember pulling out much. Now I'm thinking they must have eaten most of it. I had no idea! That's funny. Today I learned something, thank you

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I don't know about weird questions, but this thread has convinced me there are definitely some weird posters... :roll: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom