Dewormer- now both beardie’s sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheiska

I figure it’s a weird time of year for bearded dragons to be in brumation, right? I have a female bearded dragon named Cobra who is 9 year old who I’ve posted one beardie ER about recently, and a 3 year old male. I took them both to the vet about 2 months ago or less, and was given two dewormers after fecal tests. After finding this forum website and reading several posts- I’ve learned that the two kinds that have been given were the kinda hat shouldn’t have been together. The One that starts with a P and the Ivomac or whatever one. So, they’ve had two doses. And both of them are doing terribly now. Neither are eating or drinking, moving or caring about anything. Ends of tails and beards are becoming black. Getting very skinny. And very pale. I’ve tried that Oxford emergency food and they won’t eat anything unless I force them (and they’re in no shape to be prying their mouths open. Same with water. They don’t drink in their baths or with water dropped on their nose, nothing. I live in a very small town, and finding another herp vet wouldn’t be easy, but if there’s something they could do then I’ll get it done.
They’re tanks and temperatures have checked out.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, was it Ivermectin ? If so, that's pretty much toxic to a beardie and in some cases it does poison them. Your vet does not know what he's doing. Panacur is the other [ probably ] and is pretty mild but the other drug may be affecting them badly and can cause kidney failure. Try to get them to an emergency vet for fluids to flush it out of their system.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, Ivomec + Ivermectin is the same thing. It can be toxic to reptiles, your vet made a big mistake.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry, I just looked at your other posts + saw what has been happening with her. :( Do you have pics of the younger dragon ?

Cheiska

Original Poster
I have an apt at 1:30 today to get them fluids to hopefully flush out some of the dewormer.
My oldest was getting dehydrated and starting to get very skinny so I took them both in to get an exam. They gave her fluids and checked a stool sample of hers. My youngest has a spinal issue when we got him which we’ve been doing calcium to keep it from getting any worse, but I just wanted to have them both checked on. Since my oldest had worms the vet said we should treat them both. So Cobra, the 9 year old, was already getting skinny and slowing down significantly. But my youngest was completely fine and active. Now, after their second dose of dewormer, they both seem to be dying or at least not okay. I’ll attach some photos. The one with them both is from yesterday. They never lay together because they hate each other... so it’s weird that they didn’t care to be beside each other. The other two are from the last couple months.
104803-5830519893.jpg
104803-4836407225.jpg
104803-5439725905.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well hopefully they pull through. Cobra's age + genetics will factor in. [ just like people, some are " old " or sickly in their 70's, some are still relatively healthy in their 80's or 90's ] The younger one may be compromised because of his previous illness but may still bounce back from this. Hopefully the vet trip will be worthwhile, not too stressful and the person giving the fluids knows what they're doing. After this, let them rest, I would avoid anymore treatment , just rest.

Cheiska

Original Poster
Okay. Thank you so much. It’s nice to have some sort of reassurance.
My other question has become, at least for my eldest, is it okay to let her pass naturally or would putting her to rest be the more humane thing? I see her getting so boney and lethargic, it makes me wonder if she’s in pain or if a natural passing is the best?
Thank you

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome, I know this is really hard on you and the decision is difficult. Maybe see if Cobra does a little better after fluids and rest, giving her system time to rid itself of the meds. Right now she seems to be very lethargic mostly but if you think she's in serious pain then you'll have to decide what you think is best. My heart goes out to you.

Cheiska

Original Poster
UPDATE:
Took them to the vet. She gave them fluids. She also did some other looking around and found that Cobra, my 9 year old female, has a pale yellow mouth indicating jaundice. And both of them have extra fluid around their organs in places fluid shouldn’t be. It’s yellowish and bloody. She believes it’s from there being such a mass amount of parasites. It’s not likely that either of them will make a come back from this, but it’s possible. She gave them each a calcium boost and some fluids, and we will see how it goes.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Was this the same vet that gave the Ivomec ? And how did they determine there was bloody fluid around the organs, were you with them during the exam ? Any anemia or liver problems could very well be from the Ivomec. I'm pulling for your poor beardies.

Cheiska

Original Poster
My oldest beardie (9) has not eaten for weeks, or drank anything. And now, her front claws have gone rock hard and grey.
Is this a part of the dying process?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It does sound like it, [ except the claws ] I'm sorry to hear it. :( I do hope she passes peacefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom