Strange yawning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie is 11 weeks old. He was at the vet about two weeks ago for a checkup and we were told he’s completely healthy in regards to his weight and hydration. However, in the last 2 or 3 days I’ve noticed he keeps opening his mouth really wide (wider than when he’s basking) and puffing his beard, almost as if he’s choking, even though he doesn’t do it when he’s eating. I read online this can be a sign of a respiratory infection, but he’s not showing ANY other symptoms. He still eats a lot, and he can chase his crickets just fine. I really hope someone has an answer as this has been confusing my whole family for days now! Thanks:)

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
My girl does the yawn now and then .... I have always found it to be a little thing they do that’s super loveable. Sometimes when she is shedding her face (generally only once a year tho - she’s 8 and a half years old) ... but I think during that time, it can be her trying to loosen up a face shed. She will also do some eye-bulging during a face shed too a which is always a wild sight to see - ha!

Having said that - she will also give a yawn once in a while just because ? she can ....

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Beardiemum2019":1hgax8qp said:
My beardie is 11 weeks old. He was at the vet about two weeks ago for a checkup and we were told he’s completely healthy in regards to his weight and hydration. However, in the last 2 or 3 days I’ve noticed he keeps opening his mouth really wide (wider than when he’s basking) and puffing his beard, almost as if he’s choking, even though he doesn’t do it when he’s eating. I read online this can be a sign of a respiratory infection, but he’s not showing ANY other symptoms. He still eats a lot, and he can chase his crickets just fine. I really hope someone has an answer as this has been confusing my whole family for days now! Thanks:)
My beardie is doing that right now while I am writing this and he is shedding. I noticed that when he did that i could see shed. So I think the eye bulging might mean that it shedding

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yup, it helps loosen the skin while they are shedding, or about to shed. :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom