Temperature cage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear all,
I have a dilemma. My beardies cage is 100x50x50. He has a place to hide, a cave. With its 60 W heat lamp I noticed temperature is getting high. I decided to put a 25 W heat lamp in the cage, but still the coolest place in the cage is 84 Fahrenheit (the place he hides, his little cave). Is this temperature low enough? He seems to avoid the basking area, which seems to me he thinks its too warm there.
What is the best lowest temperature and what is the best highest temperature (under the basking area?)
By the way, he is 16 years old.
Thanks!
Anne

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Holy cow---- he is a old dragon--- the best temps in the tank are a basking area of 95-105 -- the best low temps cool side is in the 80's during the day and at nite not below 65-- And please take temps w/ a infrared heat gun as they are most accurate
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You are in summer where you are right ?

Are you experiencing heatwave conditions during the day there ? if you are it will definitely nudge up the tank temperatures several degrees and perhaps move your dragon's tank into dangerous temperatures.

If this is case I STRONGLY advise simply unplugging the basking globe and not running a basking globe while the weather is likely to be in heatwave during the day.

So long as the air temperature in the tank remains UNDER 100 F (about 40 degC) in the tank at the basking spot and the dragon has access to a zone at about 30 degC (82 F) or lower .

Leave the UVB globe or tube on , but unplug the basking globe during heatwaves.

Also in heatwaves , it wont hurt to have a very shallow dish in the tank (no more than 6mm (1/4") deep water in it so the dragon can cool off in the evaporating (cooling through evaporation) water.

AnneSchumii

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies! Yes its summer and there are some heatwaves and I decided to unplug the heat lamp during these heat waves, cuz it got too hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom