New owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good news that she ate a bit. Don't force it, but let her take what she wants. A couple teaspoons is pretty good. It's better to offer less at once multiple times over the course of a day than a ton all at once. You want to ease her system back into shape rather than shocking it with a ton of good food all at once.

As for the bulb, given her condition I wouldn't trust it aside from using it for heat if it's putting out the proper surface temperatures. I can give you links to good UVB setups if you'd like. The T5 setups generally cost between about $50-100 including a good fixture but the fixtures will last years and the bulbs will last at least a year before needing replacement. The high quality output is well worth the investment.

buttonsarenttoys

Original Poster
So she didnt eat while i was gone. But i had enough money to get a bulb that for sure produces UVs. I also soaked her today and she took a very big poop. Some of it looked like the poop I'd seen my brothers beardie produce. Some of it did not. One piece was long and white and three were rounded and looked like pomegranate seeds. Is that normal? Should I soak her again today?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Which bulb did you wind up with? The poops may look odd for a while and will vary. I wouldn't worry too much about them for at least a few weeks while she adjusts and gets used to good lighting and diet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is that a coil? You should get a reptisun 10.0 T 5 HO-- that would be best for her
Karrie

buttonsarenttoys

Original Poster
It is also a reptisun brand. No its like a very long thin u shape

I was also finally able to find a reptile vet in my area. I have an appointment with her monday afternoon.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
buttonsarenttoys":2b5ypx50 said:
It is a 5.0 UVB 13 watttropical pbulb. The box says 'Zoo med.'

There is no 13W UVB compact (or linear) globe that produces enough UVA and UVB for a bearded dragon .
A 5% (5.0) is also too weak

At the very least you need to upgrade the globe to a 26W UVB200 (these are very good for smaller tanks , especially if mounted in an Exo Terra Nano Hood).
The dragon will need to be able to bask about 8 inches from the 26W UVB200 (a 10% UVB compact) , and the 26W UVB200 will need to be mounted UNDER the mesh lid (the mesh will block 45% or more of the UV)..

Longer term , upgrading to a T5ho 10%UVB to 12%UVB linear tube from Arcadia or Zoo Med is an excellent idea , along with a good reflector hood about 2/3 the length of the tank.

buttonsarenttoys

Original Poster
Talked with previous owners. They insist her tail is the way it is because it was broken a long time ago, they got her like that from outsmart, and that they took her to the vet for it. ???

buttonsarenttoys

Original Poster
Hey all. We went to the vet yesterday. I showed her the list of all the things id got in my setup and she approved. Unfortunately Tiamat's metabolic bone disorder is so progressed the vet said there was no hope of her ever physically recovering from the damage thats already been done, and only a small chance that she'll recover at all. Im doing everything i can,. Please keep Tia in your thoughts as we move forward (and try to convince me not to fire-bomb her previous owners ????).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am so sorry ---- please ask for help for her if you need it - some others on here can recommend things you can do for her to make her as comfortable as possible ---- I am so sorry she is so sick --- people just do not understand the actions that they do or neglect to do can cause so much pain :(
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's true that the MBD can't be reversed, but the progress can be halted and her quality of life can be pretty good if accommodations are made for limited mobility (flattened basking spots, easy access to hides, etc). It's important to invest in a high quality UVB light like this http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ and provide her with plenty of dietary calcium (and possibly calcium supplementation as well, at least for a while). Take her outside to give her natural sunlight when you can, that's helpful as well.

Personally to me the pic seems to only have a heat lamp not a UVB so definitely getting the lighting fixed should be top priority. MBD is a tough road to have to go down but everyone here is pulling for you and will help any way we can.

buttonsarenttoys

Original Poster
Hey guys, my life has been super crazy lately, sorry its taken so long for an update. We went to the vet for a recheck last Monday and Tia is markedly improved. Shes grown some and put on weight, and shes holding her head up and glaring at me now lol. Ive been feeding her baby food with calcium and crushed "reptile pellets" every day and she eats about 1/2 a teaspoon. She's begun defecating without me having to soak her (i am soaking her reguarly still) and shes also started climbing on her basking perch and moving around her enclosure. I cant seem to entice her into eating on her own. Ive offered her some fruits and vegetables but shes not very interested. Is there anything that most dragons genereally cant turn down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom