Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheiska

104803-6283606766.jpg
104803-5056088837.jpg
104803-8276111479.jpg
104803-1841807100.jpg
104803-8765624822.jpg
My dragon (Cobra) has recently turned 9 years old. About 3 weeks ago she started to look very dehydrated, very pale, and her head seemed to have lost a lot of fat on the top. So I took her to the vet. The vet found she has worms, and has treated her accordingly. She wasn’t eating much until earlier this week, at which point she started eating a massive amount. I’ve been feeding her clean dandelions, apple and spinach with calcium powder. Her heat stays around 95 in the warmest spot and she has a 40 gallon & tall ‘bedroom’. Today I noticed that she is showing her ribs. She didn’t look like this yesterday. If so, I didn’t notice, which would be weird. Her back ribs and her chest are just so skinny... I’ve been nervous holding her today because he chest bones are so prominent. I can feel everything inside her little body. Her tail is showing bone above and under, and her head is still sunken in. She poops normally, every day or two. She takes baths and drinks water a couple times a week. There is of course water in her tank as well. I’m really nervous that I’m going to lose her at anytime. I’ll try to attach some photos of her from today.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry you are having some trouble with your girl, Cobra. At age 9, she is getting older but
hopefully still has time left with you!
Which medication for deworming did the vet give her for worms? Did he send you home with
more to give her or was it a shot that he gave her?
Can you review your tank setup with us, such as her type/brand of UVB light, the foods & the
insects given, temperatures in her tank & supplementation as well?
Did this just come on suddenly, the weight loss? Do you know what her weight is now?
Has her beard gone black yet?

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, along with Tracie's questions are you feeding her insects along with the greens ? It's good that her appetite has returned ! Greens are good but they won't put weight on and head's up , spinach should be avoided. Try collards, turnip + mustard greens as well as kale. But she will need insect protein to get her weight back up.

Cheiska

Original Poster
When I took her to the vet I wrote up a list of her tank items and her food- I’ll attach the photo! I’ll get her some more mealworms and crickets! I was told they shouldn’t eat as many bugs when they’re older so I’ve been feeding her them sometimes. So for weight purposes I’ll make sure to give her more.
I powder her food in calcium, I’m not sure the brand. And the vet gave her a shot of dewormer and an oral dewormer. (So, two kinds). I was also sent home with two more doses to give orally this coming Monday. I’m not sure the names but when I’m off work I can get them.
104803-5368861840.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing, any improvements?
Please do not give anymore Ivomec/Ivermectin deworming meds!! This medication is toxic &
oftentimes is fatal among use in reptiles. I really wish vets would stop using this for reptiles,
period. Panacur or Strongid are preferred dewormers.
Did he even do a fecal on her or just automatically deworm her?
Since she is pretty dehydrated, you can get some pedialyte & dilute it down with water to give
to her a couple of times per day to help with electrolytes & fluid replacement.
As an adult, she probably only needs 30 or so insects weekly, but, she does still need some
protein along with greens/veggies too.
Has she gone to the bathroom in the last couple of days?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Cheiska

Original Poster
Sorry it's been awhile since I’ve replied- an 8 year old friend of the family passed away. It’s been a long week.
Cobra started seeming to do well, she was eating a lot and drinking well and very active. The last few days she has not wanted to eat or drink anything. She’s lost even more of her fat and is just skin and bones. Her hips, tail, shoulder blades, head and ribs are all just poking out. She does not want to move anywhere. I’ve been giving her a couple baths a day in half pedialite/water and trying to drip it over her nose so she’ll drink. She won’t. Also I’ve been using some emergency food I have left over from awhile ago with another animals and I’ve tried syringing that for her to eat. She won’t eat that. I’ve tried her favorite beetles and worms and she doesn’t care. She’s just laying there lifeless with her eyes bulged out. She looks relaxed and happy but it feels lifeless. She keeps making her way in to the colder side of her tank as well and not wanting to be in the heat. The vet says we can do some test to see how her organs are doing, but that it seems like she’s an elderly lady probably in kidney failure.
My daughter and I are spending as much time with her as we can, and bringing her outside in the hot sun to bask on a rock and hangout. Really hoping she makes an improvement but it’s seems grim.
104803-1825087318.jpg
104803-3371119439.jpg

Cheiska

Original Poster
My question has now become; is it in Cobras best interest for me to let her die on her own, or have her put to rest?
She has still not eaten anything. She won’t drink anything. And I don’t want to force her mouth open to make her eat and drink. She is losing even more weight and not moving. Her beard has black specks on it now, constantly. Is it hurting her to die naturally, or is it best to leave her and just make her as comfortable as I can while she goes...?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's not good that you aren't able to get her to drink. It sounds like she may have some kind of organ damage. I would keep trying to hydrate her and keep her as warm and comfortable as you can.

Cheiska

Original Poster
A few days after the second dose of dewormer- BOTH of my dragons are now acting like they’re dying. Not eating, drinking, rapid weight loss, black beards, black tails, pale bodies, etc. at 1:30 today I’m going to get them both some fluids which will hopefully flush everything out of their systems. Then I’ll make sure they’re as comfortable as possible and leave them both alone with their (previously) favorite foods and some water. I really hope they make it out of this. I learned on this forum (way too late) that the type of dewormer we were given to use can be deadly to reptiles. And I think that may be exactly what’s happened. My eldest, who this post is about, is old which is of course a factor. But my other was healthy other than possible worms that the vet didn’t even check for, but treated. So here’s hoping

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What dewormer was given, Ivermec/Ivomec?
If possible, you can get some activated charcoal & mix it with water to try & get some into her
daily to help with detoxification. You had your other dragon dewormed with the same meds?
If you have parsley, cliantro, mint, & oregano & mix it with water to blend up into a slurry to
give to her. It helps with detoxification.
I am so sorry she & your other one are going through this! Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom