Hi im so new to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cristina211mass

Hi so my daughter went on vacation. And im babysitting her bearded dragon. His name is Larry. Hes a little over a year old.
So when she left there was only one light, the basking one. Shes been gone over a month and now im seeing Larry needs a uvb light.
My question is do u think this has affected him?
He hasnt been eating to well but that usually comes and goes with him.
Ive been trying to learn as much as possible to take propercare of him.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If hes gone his whole life without a uvb bulb it's definitely affected him in a negative way.

Or, has he only been without uvb for the month he's been with you? When is your daughter coming back?

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Well I would say the reason for the not eating is not having a UVB --- if there is no UVB I suggest you get one ASAP---- this is what is recommended on this forum--
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
My guess is he has MBD at this point but how bad? It usually cripples them up pretty good --- the UVB is crucial - it metabolizes the nutrients in their food and prevents MBD--- what has she been feeding him?
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom