PLEASE HELP? Can a tail bruise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlfscott

96946-1595535707.jpg
96946-4136365051.jpg
Hi all, I feel like such a horrible, awful mom!!!! Was feeding my sweet boy this morning, and as I was closing his doors he swishes his tail AT THE SAME TIME! and his tail was caught very briefly at the outside edge of his glass door. As soon as I felt that there was something there I stopped and saw his tail was between the door and the side. He didn't even flinch but I was immediately in panic mode!!! At first there was no mark at all, but after about five minutes he develloped the dark looking mark you can see in the pics I have attached. I FEEL SO AWFUL! I UNDERSTAND I HAVE HURT MY BABY AND I PROMISE YOU I FEEL LIKE A MONSTER! I have two adult male dragons (not housed together or even visible to eachother!) and neither have ever had any injury or illness, this is the first time anything has ever happened and I am freaking out. There is no blood or broken skin, no kinks and he lets me touch and does not seem to be in any pain. I tried to google if their tails can bruise and if so, can they heal and all that comes up is inevitable tail rot and amputation and i am just beside myself!!! Is there anyone who might have had a similar experience or know anything about bruising who might have some advice? I spent some extra time with him this morning apologizing and begging for forgiveness, made myself late for work and maybe imagined that the spot was possibly a shade lighter after about an hour (but thats probably wishful thinking) and gave him a hornworm as a treat and to make sure he would still eat and knew I loved him and was sorry. Dear lord I'm sitting at my desk just panicking at what state he might be in at home and I can't focus on anything else. Anyone out there have any advice or feedback on bruising or tail injury? Have I just signed a death warrant on his poor sweet tail? Also, please excuse the look of his tail, he had just done a poop before I snapped the pic, and there's a little on his tail which i most certainly cleaned off before leaving for work, I promise he is very loved and kept clean and tidy!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Did you slam it? From your description it sounds like you just nudged it?

The tails can darken when they get stressed or scared. it's possible it's just that and not an actual injury. Give it a few more hours or even until tomorrow to see what it looks like.

-Brandon

jlfscott

Original Poster
Hi Brandon! I hope I’m replying to you properly! It wasn’t a slam, but I would say more than a nudge. His tail for sure got s bit of a squeeze. There is a dark mark that you can see, I don’t mean the darker shade towards the end of his tail but the specific little spot that’s about the size of a tic tac (it’s all I could think of!) that you can see in both pics. So, that little mark appeared where his tail would have been pinched in the door of his viv. I’m at work but halfway done my day and going crazy outta my mind with worry, I’ll be running home to check on my baby as soon as my workday is over and I’ve been wishing and hoping that his tail is ok. Just wondering if these guys do bruise? I can’t seem to find any info!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I did see the darker mark.
I haven't seen them bruise really before. Let's see how he looks when you get home :)

-Brandon

jlfscott

Original Poster
Ok, thanks so much for replying, and trying to help! I'm just going out of my mind. I love my boys so much and it is killing me that i hurt one of them!!! I'll let you know how things are looking in a couple of hours. I'm dying to know but scared to go home at the same time!

jlfscott

Original Poster
Ok, soooooooooo... the little dark mark that looked like a bruise is completely gone! HUGE SIGH OF RELEIF! He is his usual happy curious sweet little self. His tail looks normal and healthy, and no trace of the dark mark that was there this morning! So, if it was a bruise it cleared up super quick!?!? It must have been something! That was exactly where his poor little tail was pinched, there’s no chance it was a smudge of poop or dirt or anything else, it definitely came from being pinched in his viv door. It was not a hard pinch but still, enough for a mark to appear within 5 mins or so, and last for at least the next hour. No clue what it was, and I will for sure monitor for the next few days, maybe week. Possibly month! Just to be safe. Though, I do check my boys’ tails often just as part of their regular care. Anyways Brandon, thank you so much, from the bottom of my heart. I really appreciate you reaching out, and you were kind even when I felt like I was a horrible monster (I still do but Spike is ok so I feel slightly less monstrous!). It meant the world to me :) I was terrified and felt really alone and it was excruciating having no answers or allies or anything at all, until you came along. You helped me feel calm, and just not completely alone. Hat was huge for me today. So thank you!!! ??

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Glad to hear it's gone and you are feeling better now! I really had a feeling it was just stress colors but figured you wouldn't believe me anyways until you saw for yourself! :mrgreen:

Happy for you two haha.

-Brandon

jlfscott

Original Poster
Well I had no idea he could just change that one tiny little spot where the viv door closed on him and leave the rest of the tail normal colour! I am amazed! And fair enough that little spot sure was stressed it was closed in a door! I can’t beleive after all this time I’m still learning new dragon things! Such amazing creatures!
I’ve been so lucky to have not had to experience any illness or injury with either of my guys, so that was new for me. The worst I’ve ever seen was a bad mood lol. But still, it was nice to have a level-headed ally. Your calmness and advice really helped. Thank you from me, Spike, & Thorny ?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Their "skin" isn't really translucent like human skin. While i'm sure they can bruise, you most likely wouldn't see the bleeding underneath the scales like you would see underneath the skin of a human.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom