Worms for a young bearded dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon, Tet, has been eating crickets ever since I had him. He has been eating very good until he got bored of it. He still eats a lot but not the same volume as before.

The age is 9-10 weeks.
Dubia roaches, or any kind of roaches are not allowed here in Canada.

I've tried giving him meal worms and he ate it happily, but I read on different sources that it is not a good staple food, especially for his age.

Wondering what kind of worm is a good one for Tet?

Bearded dragon:
size: can't still afraid of me

Enclosure:
40 gallon screen top glass aquarium

Substrate:
ReptiCarpet

Lights:
ZooMed ReptiSun 10.0 T5 HO
ZooMed Basking Spot Lamp 100W
Both on a reflector from ZooMed

Diet:
Dusted Crickets (Calcium W/O D3 + ReptiVite),
Papaya Mush,
Dandelion Greens

Lights:
ON: 6 AM
OFF: 8:45 PM

Temperature (IR)
Bask: ~105F - 110F
Cool: ~85F - 90F

Image:
IEhfceW.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd go with black soldier fly larvae (also called calci worms, repti worms, and phoenix worms which are brand names) Those are a healthy feeder and also quite small - a good fit for a young dragon. If you can get your hands on some small silk worms or grow them from eggs, those are a healthy option for them too.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Your hatchling is age: 9-10 weeks , so will have no trouble polishing off 1" long (small) silkworms .

He'll likely take 4 to 6 per session given the chance.

I'd order in a bunch of 100 silkworms from a commercial silkworm "farmer" and specify
50 worms (5mm - 8mm long)
30 worms (10mm - 15mm long)
the rest 15mm to 20mm long.
You should be able to specify the break up in rough size groups for the consignment of silkworms.
I'd suggest emailing the local silkworm suppliers and asking.

Feeding out 4 worms per day as part of the dragon's diet will mean the above will likely keep you going for nearly a month.
In a month you'll be wanting larger worms in the mix.

Hatching from eggs is a cheaper option but it will take the worms about 1 month to get to be big enough to be feeder size for your dragon.

If you can order in some fresh mulberry leaves ( black or white or red are all good ) , these are a better option IMO than making up silkworm chow . I'd buy 100 to 200 mulberry leaves for 100 worms.
These can kept in a loosely sealed ziplock bag in the refrigerator's crisper bin and will last several weeks.

use the big worms first , I'd do
1 feed per day silkworms
2 feeds per day BSFL (get the large white BSFL lavae) or 1 feed per day of crickets ( 1/4 size ) + 1 feed per day BSFL .

Your dragon will love the variety and can have some fun catching and hunting down some crickets too.
Be aware you dragon will likely become addicted to the silkworms (which in this case is a very healthy addiction).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom