Grey beard, even after shed?

Have any questions about one of the many subtle behaviors a beardie has? Ask and discuss it here!

Grey beard, even after shed?

Postby marhvee » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:42 pm

Hi all,

My approximately 8-month-old beardie recently went through a full shed and thus just shed his beard yesterday. Ever since he came to me a couple of months ago, he's had a grey-ish beard, which I had thought was because he was about to shed, but instead it went very pale while in shed and has now returned to his usual grey color again. Here's a photo of him and his beard:

[Click image to enlarge]

He otherwise has such beautiful and bright colors as well as a smooth white tummy (no stress marks) and is friendly, active, and alert. I've never seen his beard go fully black, and it only darkens a little when he's in the bath and clearly wishes he could be playing outside instead (lol). Can this be a normal color for a beard, or maybe a product of hormones as a growing young male?
marhvee
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Grey beard, even after shed?

Postby claudiusx » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:00 pm

Most likely related to him being trans hypo.

-Brandon
claudiusx

Re: Grey beard, even after shed?

Postby marhvee » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:13 pm

claudiusx wrote:Most likely related to him being trans hypo.

-Brandon

Wow, how interesting! I didn't even consider that being trans hypo could affect the beard color/appearance, but that definitely makes sense! :lol:
marhvee
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Behavior