Beardie Active but not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkaikk

Hello,

My beardie is about 7-8months old and for about the past month or two he has started to not eat anything i offer him. He used to eat all his veggies everyday and 10-15 crickets a day. Now he won't touch any veggies, crickets or any worms. Not sure what else to do. I have his basking spot at about 105 and his cool side around 80. I have a T5 10.0 UVB bulb that is attached to the inside of the tank. He has become a lot more active since I got him this bulb. But he is still refusing to eat. Sometimes when i come near the tank now he greets me with a black beard.

He doesn't appear to be losing much weight. Not sure what else I can do. The vet isn't really an option as there isn't anyone who knows anything about reptiles in my area.

**UPDATE: He is still not eating anything. I think he mightve taken a couple bites of his kale yesterday, but it's hard to tell. He's not really pooping now as he hasn't eaten in about a week. Energy levels are still really good. He is tearing up his cage everyday now. Really lost as to what I should do.**

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Given his age and his increased energy level, my guess is that this is a phase caused by hormones. If this is the case, just keep offering food as you normally would and let him take what he wants. His energy levels should return to normal eventually and his appetite will pick back up.

Arkaikk

Original Poster
CooperDragon":hv7pn1yy said:
Given his age and his increased energy level, my guess is that this is a phase caused by hormones. If this is the case, just keep offering food as you normally would and let him take what he wants. His energy levels should return to normal eventually and his appetite will pick back up.

Thanks for the reply.. I will continue monitoring. He was very lethargic and not moving much before I got the new light. He’s a different dragon now. Running around constantly. However he is still refusing to eat. Hopefully this changes as he does not seem sick.

Arkaikk

Original Poster
**UPDATE: He is still not eating anything. I think he mightve taken a couple bites of his kale yesterday, but it's hard to tell. He's not really pooping now as he hasn't eaten in about a week. Energy levels are still really good. He is tearing up his cage everyday now. Really lost as to what I should do.**

Arkaikk

Original Poster
*UPDATE* He is still not really eating. He's eaten about 7 superworms in the last 1 1/2-2 months. When i offer him anything he just closes his eyes. He is super active now, runs around his tank all day and rips it apart basically lol. Another problem i am noticing now though is he is glass surfing alot. Don't know how to stop it. I got him a background and lots of plants to cover up the glass. Any suggestions?? I'm really not sure how to get him to eat.

Arkaikk

Original Poster
Update:

So after 2 months he is finally eating again! Thank god! Such a relief. I put a bunch of money into his tank. New lights, background, blacked out the sides of the glass (instead of using plants).
Still don’t know what it was. But I am going to chalk it up to hormones. Hopefully this thread helps someone cause it was extremely frustrating to deal with. He is eating lots now and seems more healthy than ever!

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Glad your beardie has shown appetite!

I went through a similar thing recently, not as bad, for 9-10 month old. If you have a digital kitchen scale that measures in grams (or can switch from imperial to metric) use that to monitor your dragon's weight. Losing weight can be a bad sign. Not eating and maintaining weight is a better sign things are okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom