Brumation help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvel

Hi guys. I’m in New Zealand and just need some advice. My bearded dragon (16 months old) has been brumating for about 3 months. She pretty much sleeps all day. I have been advised to take her out once a day and offer food and bask, but she only eats once a week. I feel like I’m annoying her, even though she doesn’t fuss about it. She’s understandably not interested in food when I take her out, and after a while she goes right back in her hide.

Vet said she can lose 20g throughout Brumation with no issues, and I just checked her weight and she has lost about 19g. How much weight loss is too much? 30g? She was 400g 3 months ago when she started to brumate.

Sooo, shall I just let her sleep continuous and just want to know what’s the longest period your dragon slept for. Also, if she’s only eating once a week, (or nothing), doesn’t she need calcium?

I want to leave her alone after her last poop, and only take her out once a week to bath. But I’m afraid she’ll loose to much weight from not eating. Prior to her going to sleep, her weight increased at a steady pace. Ending at 400g before going to Brumation 3 months ago.

My setup:
She has a T5 14%UVB plus a long Repisun T8 10UVB Tube, both that sits on an open top with no mesh. Temps 68F (20 degrees Celsius) at night and 102F (39 degrees Celsius) at basking area. Lights are on 14 hour cycle (but will reduce to 10 hours soon...like tomorrow..hehe)

Any help would be appreciated.

101380-9676647875.jpg

101380-8384102401.jpg

101380-5372110889.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would say you dont need all that UVB--- the T 5 is plenty--- from the way the picture looks it doesnt look like she can get under her basking light-- so New Zealand are you in winter now? She needs to stay hydrated -- so I would concentrate on keeping her hydrated --- others on here are going to have some advice on this better than I --
Karrie

cvel

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply. Yes it’s winter here, started about 2 months ago.

Sorry, posted old photo of set up. Below is the current setup. The T5 is over the basking area, and I put theT8 over the whole enclosure, since I’m afraid if she doesn’t go on basking area, that she won’t get enough UVB.

I guess she’ll manage herself :)

101380-5478015155.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom