New member/ New beardie/Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bieberwhole

Hello,

My fiance and I got a baby bearded dragon two days ago and he/she is already part of the family. We did get it kind of on a whim with little research. That's being said I'll I've done the past two days is research and drive back to the pet store today for more supplies.

I do have some specific questions that I didn't know where to put so hopefully I'm in the clear asking here.

He/she is a baby/juvenile is there any way to tell it's age?

We have 2 large dogs that bark and trample through the house like horses. Does this scare/stress them? What causes them stress?

It is currently on my kitchen table and it's a busy area does it need to be relocated to somewhere more "quiet"?

I've read uvb is blocked by the mesh top...how much is blocked does it ABSOLUTELY have to be mounted inside?

It's already a pain moving it's lights everytime I have to reach in there. Any suggestions on mounting lights?

Any recommendations on online stores or other retailers for supplies i.e food decorations etc.

Thanks ahead of time,

Bieberwhole

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! I'll do the best I can to address your questions.

- It's hard to tell their exact age without a hatch date. We can usually guess within a few months based on their size but that's not exact. If you can post photos it would be helpful. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

-It's possible that the dogs can cause them stress, but not necessarily. That's a bit of an individual personality thing that you'll discover with them over time. Just observe closely and keep it in mind for now. I would keep the dogs away while your dragon is out of the tank though.

-This is again a personality trait, but a lot of them seem to prefer to be in the middle of the action. I have my tank right in the living room. They tend to be very curious little ones and want to investigate what is going on around them and I encourage that.

-Metal mesh does block UVB. The extent depends on how thick/fine the mesh is though since it's a physical barrier. The distance you need to mount your UVB light depends on the bulb and fixture you are using. They all produce different levels of UVB. If you can provide the bulb and fixture you currently have, I may be able to give you a rough estimate of it's optimal distance based on previous testing. It's best to use a Solarmeter to check the output if you can, although these aren't cheap and it's best to buy a known high quality bulb and fixture first.

-The top opening tanks can be annoying both for having to move the lights and for when you need to access the tank. Most folks prefer front opening doors which are common on home built enclosures. Building your own enclosure also allows you to (relatively) affordably build a large enclosure. Using a large enclosure (4'x2'x2' or larger) for an adult is recommended.

- There are a lot of different (good) vendors out there. Are you in the US? Amazon carries a lot of supplies/hardware. There are also a lot of good live food vendors available depending on what kind of food you're looking for. We can help you narrow that down if you make a post in the feeders section and ask about specific items.

Supahusa1

Hi we have had Tia for almost a month now. We got her from friends that the kids never cleaned the case and it was to small for her. Now she's in a super sized home and food whenever she's hungry and the right light. I don't like the bugs so she is spoiled to plastic tweezer and she knows what they are now. My name is Connie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom