Breeding Insect / Feeder Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to breed a couple different insects for my beardie. I bought some sampler packs to kinda see what she is more into. My thoughts were either the combination of Hornworns and Dubai Roaches or Pheonix Worms and Dubai Roaches

I am looking for thoughts and advise on what others are doing.

Currently searching for a breeder box/boxes that are stack-able and/or has dividers so i can sort the maturity.

Please give me your secrets

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Anything with adequate size that has proper ventilation should do well. I haven't raised black soldier fly larvae or hornworms myself but I have a dubia colony and have raised crickets and silk worms in the past. Plastic bins with a mesh top tend to work pretty well and are cost effective. Some people sort the bugs by size using different sized holes drilled into the bottom of the bins and having them stacked up, but I haven't bothered with that. If you have spare small glass tanks around those work too. My main roach colony is in a 20g long tank with a metal mesh top and that works well.

Here is an example of a portable bin I built for part of my roach colony. The center of the top is cut out and replaced with mesh screen (comes in a roll at the hardware store) and taped along the frame of the top. It worked pretty well.

76248-4958329354.jpg

This is one of the small bins I keep silk worms in. There are holes drilled in the top and they are fairly shallow. Maybe 6'' or so tall.

76248-7912345282.jpg

When I order hornworms they come in a cup with a plastic ladder stapled to the top (bottom - it stays inverted with holes in the lid). The chow is attached and they hang from it while they eat.
76248-7448801794.jpg

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
You should look into silkworms to go along with the dubias. I haven't tried hornworms but understand they are difficult to breed. The hornworm moths are large and fly around and therefore need a lot of space. They also have to be fed nectar, although I have heard you can substitute sugar water. On the other hand, silkworm moths cannot fly and they don't eat. You can also keep quite a few in a very small space. I crank them out in small ziplock tupperwares. Its tough to stack them though cause the top really should be open to curtail any molding. I'm not sure I could handle the BSFL and the potential for a fly invasion.....don't know much about breeding them.
103523-1256392454.jpg

Kyle

skylaramanda21

Original Poster
Yes omg i am terrified of getting infested with fly's and having stinky compost in my home or even in my yard... I have already had issues with the crickets.. they tend to jump out of my tweezers, they blend with my carpet.. and then im finding crickets on the walls.. (not cool) So this lead me to Dubia Roaches.. which i am waiting for my starter pack to breed.

I have noticed the hornworms grow so fast and the are very juicy, which is good but can be bad.. But she loves them.. goes crazy. Hornworms will end up being treats, or occasion cycled food.

I looked into silk worms because they were highly recommended for stable foods but i have read mixed reviews, methods and outcomes.. Can you please share your method with me:)

I am trying to establish a routine food but i dont want to just use dubia as stable so she can get a variety.. eating the same thing sucks lol So i figured 2 breeding stables, and i am breeding wax worms) another favorite but just a small amount for treats. Then i can order apoack this here or there to spice it up..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom