Good ways to bond with babies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boneboy

I've had a couple of beardies before, but never as young as my two new kids! They're siblings, around 6 months old and they're the love of my life. I've had them just over a month.

With my older dragons, I used to give them a snack when I was handling them - I first got them - but both had warmed up to me really quickly; both had been two or so years old when I Got them.

These two are responding differently, as expected. DRUID was skittish at first but she's happy being handled most of the time now (she's sitting here watching me type, I've got heart eyes and keep getting distracted by her oops). I was surprised, as she's the more dominant of the two. She still dives away from my hand when picking her up and won't eat if I'm handling her, which crosses out that method.

Aj is a different story. He was calm at first by now he's an avid glass surfer and is really skittish being handled. I'm slowly chipping away - hand feeding him, spending time around him and in general giving him special treatment, but I havent seen any improvement yet.

What're your go-to ways of bonding with babies, or dragons in general?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It kind of varies between them a bit. As you're seeing, they have unique personalities and it can take time for them to get used to you and it can take time to get used to their preferences. Offering a treat by hand is a good way of building a bond so I'd keep trying that even if not successful at first. Try some different options - maybe a silk worm or a hornworm and see how that goes over. Spend time near the enclosure and talk to them. Eventually they'll get used to you being around. If you have a safe area outside the tank, let them roam around a bit and explore.

boneboy

Original Poster
CooperDragon":gb49jesr said:
It kind of varies between them a bit. As you're seeing, they have unique personalities and it can take time for them to get used to you and it can take time to get used to their preferences. Offering a treat by hand is a good way of building a bond so I'd keep trying that even if not successful at first. Try some different options - maybe a silk worm or a hornworm and see how that goes over. Spend time near the enclosure and talk to them. Eventually they'll get used to you being around. If you have a safe area outside the tank, let them roam around a bit and explore.

Okay, I'll give it a shot! I have a few large mesh covers that i can put down on my carpet or wherever and it's plenty big enough for them to run around under it. They enclosure is right by my work desk so Whenever I'm working or in my room I'm by them.

I've seen a few people putting old socks or pieces of clothes tucked into beardie enclosures - is that effective in getting them used to me when i'm not around or just wishful thinking?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've read about people putting worn shirts in the enclosures and have reported success. I haven't tried it myself but it's certainly worth a shot.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They are very easy to bond with. Just get a nice soft old sweatshirt you have or a little fleece
blankie & wait until bedtime when they are sleepy. Then, pick him up & hold him for awhile.
he will likely go to sleep pretty quickly. Then you can burrito wrap him up into the blankie & he
should love that.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom