Broken left arm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake5999

I’m pretty sure my bearded dragon broke his arm the other day. Me and my gf we’re giving him a bath and when we wrapped him in the towel we think his arm was bent and now he won’t walk on it and is hobbling to places. I didn’t know I wasn’t taking care of him properly with his habitat (lighting + food) I tried giving him some greens but he won’t eat anything other than super worms / mealworms. What kinds of vitamins and greens should I give him. Also could I make a splint for him to use? I tried researching about it and want more info. I will be able to upload pictures later when I get home. I ordered a lighting bulb. Reptilian 10.0. Also ordered a ceramic heat light. I only had a basking bulb and feel so bad. I really couldn’t afford getting him the proper environment but I recently got a bonus for overtime at work so I’m putting all of it towards him. Any ideas or advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The Reptisun bulb should be a 10.0 T 8 or T 5-- the 5 tube is a stronger bulb and would probably benefit him better---- NO COILS!!! as far as food here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html---
What is the ceramic heat light? Are you talking about a CHE-- heat emitter? No colored bulbs please- bad for their eyes!! The others on here would haft to give some advice on the splint for the leg-- I am sorry he broke it --- :( -- I would start weaning him off the super worms-- and order some dubia roaches if pet stores in your area dont carry them --- he does need protein still at least 2 times per week -- dusted w/ calcium D3 and vitamins -- alternate between the 2 -- that will help get him off the super worms and the meal worms--
Karrie

Jake5999

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3hiqfdlk said:
The Reptisun bulb should be a 10.0 T 8 or T 5-- the 5 tube is a stronger bulb and would probably benefit him better---- NO COILS!!! as far as food here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html---
What is the ceramic heat light? Are you talking about a CHE-- heat emitter? No colored bulbs please- bad for their eyes!! The others on here would haft to give some advice on the splint for the leg-- I am sorry he broke it --- :( -- I would start weaning him off the super worms-- and order some dubia roaches if pet stores in your area dont carry them --- he does need protein still at least 2 times per week -- dusted w/ calcium D3 and vitamins -- alternate between the 2 -- that will help get him off the super worms and the meal worms--
Karrie

Where do I buy the Dubia roaches dusted with calcium d3 and vitamins?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You would need to check your petstores if they don't sell them you can order them on line from different suppliers- there are alot of suppliers- Google dubia roaches go from there-- there are some sites listed on this board under the feeder board I believe-- you will need to buy the calcium D3 powder and vitamins from a pet store or you can order that as well-- dusting the roaches you can use a ziplock bag or a cup -- if you need more help w/ suppliers just ask - there are a lot of people on this board that can suggest places- I get mine from dubiaroaches com- they are good but charge shipping-- they also sell hornworms- butterworms-- silkworms--
Karrie

Jake5999

Original Poster
How would I go about weaning him off live food to other food like fruits and veggies? He don’t care for anything that isn’t live.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Do your dragon a huge favor , take him to a reptile vet and have the injured arm assessed .

This will involve an xray. It's worth it and the vet will then be able to advise the BEST way to treat it if it's broken or there's a serious dislocation.

Thing is unless you are training in vet medicine and KNOW what you are doing, your mucking about with a make shift splint is very likely to do more harm than good and cause some very serious perhaps life threatening complications for the dragon , and will likely result in a serious infection, gangrene (necrotic tissue / bones) and a permanently crippled reptile.

PLEASE DO NOT RESORT TO HOME REMEDIES AND HOME TREATMENT if there is strong chance the arm is broken.

Vet visit is very much warranted if he's not using when you get up .

So your priorities should be , in this order :
1) dragon to reptile vet for examination and xray if the dragon is still not using the arm.

I can tell you first hand experience a skilled vetsurgeon can do wonders with broken arm or leg on lizard , even a juvenile lizard. My George the Blue Tongue Skink broke his left upper arm somehow (being silly and rambunctious I suspect) on day in his rearing tub. He was about 6 months old so not a really big boy , the vet after another vet told me it's nothing but a sprain , took xray and found a fine spiral brake in the big upper bone in his arm, so the decision was made with me to put him under a general and insert a custom made stainless steel pin to stabilize the bone , a special dressing was made and the arm and full shoulder immobilized with a special cast.
I was required to give George a combined IM injection that had mixed antibiotic & pain relief (which was good stuff as he got really perky after the injections) every 2nd day & calcium rich foods and a daily oral dose of CalciVet solution..
The cast came off several weeks later and he's been good a gold and you'd never know he has a broken arm .

2) show us the dragon , how heavy is he ?

3) show us the tank (we need to see the setup , substrate , lights and how you are monitoring temperatures.

4) basking spot temp, warm zone temp, cool zone temp ?

5) tell us his current feeding schedule and diet , and supplimentation schedule ?

6) tell us exactly what lights are currently in use (for basking spot (to provide heat + light) , UV , and their brands.

7) distance from the UV source to the basking spot ? , is the UV source naked or in a reflector (dome or hood) ? and is it on top of under the mesh lid ? )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom