FREE Range Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinyBlue

we too have free range dragons. Well, actually one dragon, our Mr R, who is 4 years old although he has been with us for a year and a half or so. He free ranges in the garden during the day, and at night he sleeps in his basket. In the winter, he brumated for three months, waking up here and there, eating a few worms, having a poo, basking by the woodburner at night for a bit, then back to his basket.
Our dog just ignores the dragon. She looks at them, gives them a sniff, walks away. I think she thinks they're a bit boring. Our other dragon, Blue, is the tiny one I mentioned in another post and of course she's not allowed to free range yet. But if she ever reaches a decent size, she will. She has put on 10 grams in the last month!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He must enjoy being able to roam through the garden! Are you growing things that are specifically for him to eat?

TinyBlue

Well, the place where he spends most of the day is a grapevine, he sometimes climbs on it and sometimes just sits in its green shade. It's in a sort of large raised bed with several random plants - mint, parsley, lentils, radish, wild stuff that just grows, and yes, he nibbles here and there (parsley is a big favourite) and catches the odd beastie, but mostly he likes me to bring him his plate of food. He has a swimming pool (a sort of large, round, flat pan that even when full don't reach his shoulders). he loves paddling about, drinks big gulps of water and has his poos there, then he usually paddles a bit more (unless I'm there to change the water) and makes a right mess of it! He gets no less than 6-8 hs of direct sunlight, but lately his skin is looking a bit not great. I need to open another post about it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds like he's got a pretty good life =). Dragons have been seen basking on grapevines in the wild in South Australia pretty frequently.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
TinyBlue":22qsiqty said:
Well, the place where he spends most of the day is a grapevine, he sometimes climbs on it and sometimes just sits in its green shade. It's in a sort of large raised bed with several random plants - mint, parsley, lentils, radish, wild stuff that just grows, and yes, he nibbles here and there (parsley is a big favourite) and catches the odd beastie, but mostly he likes me to bring him his plate of food. He has a swimming pool (a sort of large, round, flat pan that even when full don't reach his shoulders). he loves paddling about, drinks big gulps of water and has his poos there, then he usually paddles a bit more (unless I'm there to change the water) and makes a right mess of it! He gets no less than 6-8 hs of direct sunlight, but lately his skin is looking a bit not great. I need to open another post about it.

I'm betting he loves to nibble the grapevine leaves and takes grave vine catepillars ( I know beardies love them because a friend has a vineyard and sends his kids out to collect the catepillars for their pet dragons who make very fast work of them).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperDragon":3475o19q said:
Sounds like he's got a pretty good life =). Dragons have been seen basking on grapevines in the wild in South Australia pretty frequently.

Same here in the Hunter Valley . In this case they are eastern water dragons and eastern bearded dragons.

kwonsmommy

Original Poster
KevinsMom33":1ocntniu said:
And to the original poster - apologies for going off topic- yes - free range can be done - if you can create the proper conditions, environment and heating for the main area. It’s wonderfully interactive for the dragon and you - the dragon is no longer confined to his bedroom and can exercise, explore his surrounding. you’ll be more connected to him - instead of looking through glass “, you’ll have a better bond. Go slow, keep a good eye out for where he goes, know his favorite spots to tuck in and sleep so you don’t panic. Kevin now knows where the front door is and scratches at it to go sit out on the porch. Always always supervise outside. Good luck and enjoy.

You are fine. I compelety understand. What works for one's family doesn't always work for another. Our Jarvis is like your Kevin he let's everyone know he is the boss and when he has had enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom