FREE Range Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else have a free range beardie? Our 6 year old beardie Jarvis has 2 enclosures with proper husbandry. However, he prefers to be a free range beardie.

FYI: He does have proper lights and Every thing he needs outside of the tank. He has pretty much taken over the living room?We don,t have any other animals its just him.

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
I wouldn't call Guacamole "Free Range" but he does get out and about for an hour or two after I get home from work. They're just such small, sneaky and delicate animals I worry about letting him out without active supervision! How do you have a home dragon safe enough that you don't worry?

They do seem to enjoy the ability to wander around though... For whatever reason Guac is OBSESSED with the bathroom? If I ever loose track of him, he's either in the restroom or my SO's lap.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
We've done that with our bluetongues and central bearded dragons once they are big enough to be too big to slip under the fridge , slip under the cabinets , slip under doors , slip under the modular lounge.

At the moment the big bluetongues get to go on the floor in the kitchen + dining area + lounge room and hallway (to bathroom , laundry & bedrooms but the doors are closed) and they only get out one at a time and often spend a few hours per day doing their own thing (with us keeping an eye on them
All our yearling and older bearded dragons have had the same deal. (Often a bearded dragon and big BT skink are out together).

I wont do this with hatchlings Caesar and Cleo for a while yet , they are only 5 months old both under 200g so too small.

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Does anyone else have a free range beardie? Our 6 year old beardie Jarvis has 2 enclosures with proper husbandry. However, he prefers to be a free range beardie.

FYI: He does have proper lights and Every thing he needs outside of the tank. He has pretty much taken over the living room?We don,t have any other animals its just him.[/quote]

My 5 year old dragon Kevin has been truly free range for over 3 years - he cannot be contained in a tank. I have an area in my dining rooms set up with a yoga mat (I found that is easy on his deformed wrists as he had MBD when I rescued him) and very easy to vacuum, spot clean and hose off outside when needed - some rocks and all his lights (and a small space heater to give him a "nice warm summer breeze"- he goes wherever he wants - then goes back to his hot spots. He on occasion does share it with his little sister Nona, she does stay in a 50 gal tank, because she seems to prefer the security of the tank, and always has to share with his girlfriend Sofia the cat. I've attached some photos so you can see the set up. I don't recommend it for everyone - but this works for us.
102444-7155530504.jpg
102444-3071085345.jpg
102444-6906443154.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My dragon is free range most of the time too. I have two halogen basking lights set up for him and two mercury vapor lamps for him across the first floor of the house. He is often very active and hates being in his tank.

kwonsmommy

Original Poster
Ellentomologist":1bk370s0 said:
I wouldn't call Guacamole "Free Range" but he does get out and about for an hour or two after I get home from work. They're just such small, sneaky and delicate animals I worry about letting him out without active supervision! How do you have a home dragon safe enough that you don't worry?

They do seem to enjoy the ability to wander around though... For whatever reason Guac is OBSESSED with the bathroom? If I ever loose track of him, he's either in the restroom or my SO's lap.

Jarvis is 6 years old and pretty big. He can't get stuck anywhere and our house is pretty much kid proof as we have 2 boys. He has free range of the living room and kitchen. The bathroom I shut when we leave, we have stairs thatgo down so i put a baby gate up so he can't go down them.
My husband has a sneaker collection in the living room he loves to climb all over them?.

kwonsmommy

Original Poster
KevinsMom33":1a07h4e6 said:

FYI: He does have proper lights and Every thing he needs outside of the tank. He has pretty much taken over the living room?We don,t have any other animals its just him.

My 5 year old dragon Kevin has been truly free range for over 3 years - he cannot be contained in a tank. I have an area in my dining rooms set up with a yoga mat (I found that is easy on his deformed wrists as he had MBD when I rescued him) and very easy to vacuum, spot clean and hose off outside when needed - some rocks and all his lights (and a small space heater to give him a "nice warm summer breeze"- he goes wherever he wants - then goes back to his hot spots. He on occasion does share it with his little sister Nona, she does stay in a 50 gal tank, because she seems to prefer the security of the tank, and always has to share with his girlfriend Sofia the cat. I've attached some photos so you can see the set up. I don't recommend it for everyone - but this works for us.
102444-7155530504.jpg
102444-3071085345.jpg
102444-6906443154.jpg
[/quote]

His set up in the living room looks similar to yours. We have wood floors in the living room and tile by the door way and leading to the kitchen which is tile as well when he gets hot he will go over to the tile to sleep.lol

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Be VERY CAREFUL to keep the other house pets = dogs , cats , and ferrets away from your free range dragons , it only takes an instant for the mammalian predator to snap and attack and things to turn pear shaped and very very bad (for the dragon).
Especially if it's a cat - you can never trust any cat who has access to dragon.

A lot of people forget their dog or cat is an apex predator and become very complacent and trusting , and we regularly see posts where something very bad has happened and they are in a panic and don't know what to do.

full

I shake my head when I see images like this one. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
kingofnobbys":34o9hdhm said:
and we regularly see posts where something very bad has happened
I shake my head when I see images like this one. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

Actually we don't. I can think of maybe 1 incident in the last year. What we do see a lot of is people posting pictures like this and you telling them that.

There's risks to everything in life. Would it be ideal not to have a cat in a free roam lizard area? Sure. Is it a death sentence? Far from it.

No need to make someone feel bad because they are enjoying their pets in a way you don't agree with.

-Brandon

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Thanks for coming to my defense Brandon-
I don’t ever suggest anyone do what I have done with Kevin and my cats - we are special - the cats have been with the dragons since they were kittens and have never done anything but sit under the lights and sleep - Kevin and Nona then climb onto the cats for extra warmth. King of Knobbys is very “passionate” in his belief that every cat is a murderer of all other wild life and needs to be killed on site. I never tell anyone to do what I have done with my cats - Kevin is a large dragon - and when he’s feeling territorial he chases the cats - and they run away. They don’t attack - they don’t need to - they are not feral and don’t need to kill wildlife to survive. The reason feral cats and dogs kill wildlife is because horrible people took their house pets and decided they didn’t want them anymore and put them out to fend for themselves. They kill to survive not for fun.
Kevin loves being free - he’s supposed to be - right now he’s sitting under his lights with his face pointing at the space heater with the warm breeze (picture if he had hair it would be a shampoo ad)
I don’t leave Nona out alone unsupervised - not because of the cats - but because she’s petite and Kevin jumps on her and he tries to kill or mate with her. Not the cats.
Other than that we’re good ...
102444-5027114716.jpg
102444-5008003167.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
The inference taken from photos like the one you posted is that cats and lizards are perfectly fine to be allowed to have very close contact and it's safe to do this.

That is what some people WILL TAKE AWAY FROM THIS type of image (unless the behavior is challenged).

There is a significant portion of the population who DO NOT UNDERSTAND that that their cat is a predator and all cats will kill reptiles given the opportunity. So a reality check is always in order when this kind of photo is put up in a reptile focused message board (I expect this applies on bird focused message boards too).

Yes - cats are all hardwired killers and it's only a matter of time before the cat attacks.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You really start to get off topic. The discussion is about free range dragons not a discussion on whether or not cats kill dragons.

-Brandon

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
King of Nobbys - if you really think that people are too stupid to read my post full post and read the portion - I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS TO EVERYONE WE ARE SPECIAL - then you have very little regard for the other people on this site. I get it you hate cats- I pretty sure you’re the kind of person that goes out and shoots cats in your neighborhood.

You are the reason I rarely come on this site. Even when I really need some good information I see your name and click off. Anyone who hates one type of animal technically is a hater of all animals including reptiles.

I truly hope these pictures trigger you.
102444-5241538393.jpg
102444-8044934706.jpg
102444-3519630577.jpg
102444-6545869973.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
This thread seems to have become a bit heated. While I understand everyone's passion, let's please try to keep things levelheaded and friendly. The original purpose of this thread is to discuss free range behavior of dragons and share stories. Let's stick to that train of thought here please.

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
And to the original poster - apologies for going off topic- yes - free range can be done - if you can create the proper conditions, environment and heating for the main area. It’s wonderfully interactive for the dragon and you - the dragon is no longer confined to his bedroom and can exercise, explore his surrounding. you’ll be more connected to him - instead of looking through glass “, you’ll have a better bond. Go slow, keep a good eye out for where he goes, know his favorite spots to tuck in and sleep so you don’t panic. Kevin now knows where the front door is and scratches at it to go sit out on the porch. Always always supervise outside. Good luck and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom