My boy is diagnosed with liver bile tumor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puppycut

Hatchling Member
Hi all. I have a rescue since Feb. and he had a mass. Did xrays. And took a biopsy. He has a bile duct/liver tumor. What supplements or any advice would be great!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry to hear about your rescue. Did the vet remove the mass I hope?
What type of foods & supplementation are you giving currently? Does the liver seem to
be having any trouble, did they say he had fatty liver or not?
I would consider giving milk thistle for help with liver function. Keep the protein sources
minimum & a leaner content such as silkworms, calcium/phoenix worms, hornworms, along
with good healthy greens.
Do you have any pictures of him we could see?

Tracie

Puppycut

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The vet said because of his age which is about 8 he isn’t removing it. Just to make him comfortable. How do I give milk thistle? I’m so upset.

Juniper

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Henry
Eight is not that old. They can live twelve years or more if well cared for; I do not think palliative care has to be the answer. That's like not treating a person's cancer because they're 55. I am not a vet, so I could be wrong about how bearded dragons tolerate surgery as they age, but I am skeptical of this vet's conclusion. My beardie had a liver tumor on her bile duct, and if this is the same kind, it kills them if not removed. I would seek a second opinion from another vet if you can, because even if the surgery is higher-risk, it sounds like a choice between a surgery that might kill him or a tumor that will. My beardie had surgery to remove her tumor. The surgery went smoothly, she recovered well, and the tumor has not returned. Unless there are complicating factors you have not shared here, a good reptile vet should be able to remove a liver tumor.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your boy doing today?
How much milk thistle do you give, daily for him? If you will be giving powder, you can give
just a small pinch daily either mixed in with his food or sprinkled onto his foods. It is a safe
supplement so you can use daily, or every other day, whichever is easier.
I would focus on giving good quality insects that are low in fat such as silkworms, hornworms,
or calcium/phoenix worms. Try to avoid fat as much as possible, to help decrease additional
stress to the liver.
He is a lucky boy that you took him in. He will be a happy little one!

Tracie

Puppycut

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just ordered from bug de lite all kinds of stuff. So waiting for it. He’s the same. Doing the same. And I syringe feed him. I also ordered silks and horns. And dubia for my crew

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sure, I thought I recognized your user name! So you have the milk thistle powder coming
correct? It will come with a tiny scooper you can use to measure it out with. How is he doing
today?
He should love the silkworms & hornworms! Let us know how things are coming along.

Tracie

Puppycut

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Since I have had him. He lived in the school I worked in. I took him because I was worried about him and the teacher was grateful. He had an upper respiratory infection, and took him to my vet. He was on meds and I did nebulizer treatments with him. No more infection. But I wanted to make sure he was good so I got xrays and bloodwork. Bloodworks fine and the X-ray showed the mass and I had it biopsies and wanted to know what it was. That’s when the liver bile duct tumor was shown.
He’s an amazing dragon and I adore him. He had a very hard beginning. Some MB’s. And he also has a bump on his bottom jaw that dr said leave because it doesn’t bother him.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Oh my, poor thing! At least you did find out what was going on with him. That is such an
unfortunate issue. I am so glad he is doing well!
It does sound like though, he is having a great life with you. That is too bad he has had
such a rough go of things in life. He is lucky you have him!
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Tfulton30

I’m sorry that this is happening but I’m so glad to hear that your boy has someone like you to care for him. I hope he can overcome this and live a healthy rest of his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom