Bearded Dragon has right sided beard swelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

sydcersos

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0hHhG49ueEL2KlDGX6Y-OQSnw

Here are 3 photos of what stein looks like right now.

I took him to the vet Wednesday morning because I noticed a lump on the right side of his head. The vet gave him baytril & said it might be cellulitis forming into an abscess. As soon as I got home from the vet, before even taking his medicine, I noticed the right side of steins beard starting to swell. I thought maybe it was from when the vet was trying to open steins mouth and he may have put too much pressure on that right side. It’s been 5 days and the swelling has yet to go down. It feels super soft and doesn’t hurt him when I touch it. He’s still eating and running around but it just worries me. Has anyone had any experiences with this? Does anyone know how to make the swelling go down? I made another appt for Friday so hopefully it goes down by then!

Also, he didn’t have anything to eat before we went to the vets

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks like fluid of some sort building up. Sometimes they store food like that but it should be swallowed after a short time if that's the case. I would probably ask the vet to take a sample of the fluid and test it to see what it is and proceed from there. It's a good sign that he is still acting normally but the swelling is concerning so I'd certainly check into it further.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, that is some swelling for sure!
It wasn't of this magnitude prior to going to the vets?
It is very possible he hurt him if he grabbed him too hard & bruised that area.
If it is an injury it could take weeks to go down. He doesn't act bothered by the swelling?

Tracie

sydcersos

Original Poster
Drache613":1tc9w15n said:
Hello,

Poor guy, that is some swelling for sure!
It wasn't of this magnitude prior to going to the vets?
It is very possible he hurt him if he grabbed him too hard & bruised that area.
If it is an injury it could take weeks to go down. He doesn't act bothered by the swelling?

Tracie

Before the vets he had no swelling in his beard at all.

That’s what I was thinking, that he grabbed him a little too hard.

He can’t really open his mouth fully while he’s basking but other than that he doesn’t seem bothered. I did make a vet appointment for Friday!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh dear, that is terrible! I think then that is going to be the culprit unfortunately.
The only think you can do is have them take a look at it but it will take a little bit of time for
that to heal & for the bruising/swelling to subside.
How is he doing?
Let us know what the vet says after the appointment.

Tracie

sydcersos

Original Poster
Hi everyone, here’s an update on stein:
After his antibiotics were almost done, we took him back to the vet & the did a fine needle aspiration. The aspiration was mainly blood. They did a Doppler right after and the side that has the lump (right side) had a heartbeat sound. The left side had no sound. I’m not really sure what to do because I definitely feel that it is an aneurysm.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Did the vet recommend a course of action? Surgery might be an option, but it is likely to be risky. Is the swelling getting worse? It may be possible that the injury will repair itself or not get worse. Something like this is probably best worked through with an experienced vet though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom