Constantly wanting to hide

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Hey guys
Ever since I got a nice hide for my bearded, she only wants to hide.
It's on the warm side w/ a basking spot on top, it's nice.

Should I consider blocking the hide until bedtime?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is her behavior otherwise normal? If she is enjoying her hide then I'd let her do her thing unless there appears to be something else wrong.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
No she's enjoying her laziness I guess lol
Nothing appears outwardly wrong

I got a leash for her & I think she's afraid of the outside but likes the sun
Is natural sunlight a good substitute for basking?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes ---------15 minutes = 4 hrs of tank basking- I would check basking temps w/ a infrared heat gun - is she sitting under UVB at all ?
Karrie

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Okay that's good to know.

She is hiding under basking spot so no she's not under her uv
& She's been doing it for a few days

Basking temp is 105
Should I consider lowering it

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can try and it may be too hot usually hiding is a lighting issue--- what kind of UVB do you have ? Is it a coil or tube --- brand and bulb please
Karrie

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Exo terra solar glo 125w all in one
Could it be a bad bulb because I recently replaced it

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so I have heard good things for the Solorglo for heat but as for basking it is recommended a tube UVB - here on the forum is what is recommended
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- I would change get the tube and use the solarglo for basking only--- my guess is shes not getting enough UVB from that bulb --- get the tube and see if her behavior does not change --
Karrie

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
She had recently gone to the vet & her x-rays are fine.
She's been using solar glo her whole life
& I know plenty of beardies who use a solar glo.
They bask

Anyways should I add the reptisun with the solar glo?
Yes I have noticed these bulbs put off alot of heat but it's an all in one

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
They recommend separate bulbs so you can adjust heat temps and not effect the UVB-- I am not sure about using them together - someone w/ more experience would haft to weigh in on that-- you can always change the basking bulb to a regular bright white basking bulb--- but that is my guess as to why she's hiding all the time- you want her basking tho-- is she digging in her hide? Has she laid eggs?
Karrie

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Yes she digs here and there.
Ok so maybe it's getting too hot
I just took the temp & it was 110

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That's pretty hot-- I have the Arcadia 14%bulb and a 150 watt EXO Terra on tank - and w/ this goofy weather I have had to keep the 150 on the tank--- in the summer I can usually go to a 100 watt but the cooler weather I haven't changed it--- I did finally get the che turned off-- my temps vary w/ room temp
Karrie

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
My temps vary as well
So what would be a good temp to aim for 95?
I might raise my light

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yes go for 95 --- if you can raise the light that is good --- you will haft to play w/ it --- or you can move decor around to see where temp hits on certain height of decor--- thats what I had to do--- Hiccup has different spots he can bask tho cuz of the log I have under the light --- here is a pic of his tank --
97951-6618921375.jpg
the log he sits on is behind the food bowl -- he can sit at different levels of where he wants to bask -
Karrie

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Thanks Karrie
As soon as I adjusted the light she basked on her own for the rest of the day yesterday
I just had to run my ac all day as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom