scale discoloration patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimcakez84

my baby "YEEZY" hasnt been eating for about 2 days and this patch on his belly is the only thing i can think of that is new or different. he is 20" long and weights under half pound and is apx 6 months old. his poo is a little runny and he seems restless he has an adequate set up w/ uvb & basking lights, the tank itself is getting small for him though its about 36 ×17 ×17 in size, which i believe he will need a larger one sooner than later. the patch is worrying me, i hqve been bathing him daily for abt 5 or 6 days now and i finally got his scrubby out (toothbrush) scrubbed it and soaked and its not peeling on any edges or seeming dry like his usual shed. maybe its pre shed or shed that failed to fall of?? i noticed it about a week ago and it hadnt changed at all, he isnt eating jow abd i think he looks skinny, no one else sees it but i do. i have been cleaning his tank and offering by hand a ll kind of his favorites. he is on a superworm staple, he usually eats up to 20 a day and not one has he wanted since day before yesterday. he is growing and he is still only 6 months so i assume there will be stuff thats new, like this, but i am worried qbt fungus or parasites. the one photo shows some black specs, are those a problem? if nayone knows what this could be or how to get rid of it, also if food striked are normal please lmk. also, i tool him to an AA meeting the 3 days ago, maybe the trip made him stressed out? he loves being out if his tank, i think. he never has been a surfer of glass or seemed like he wanted out of his tank but i think he likes being out, i see it in his eyes lol, thats how we talk! he looks up down and to the side and tells me most what i need to know. but im stumped. the patch the appetite loss and now, for the first time, restlessness, idk if we have a problem or if we have a spoiled boy who wants to go to AA more and is on strike since he saw the world and now wants more if it, or less? please help! thanks so much, live this site been looking for answers here from day 1, hatchling and me are greatful for any answers that may calm our fears if yellow fungus or worse. much love,
kim & YEEZY

104766-4951611129.jpg
104766-1333922334.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It almost looks like a stain-- has he been sitting in any type of liquid or maybe his poo-- does he stink? Superworms are not a good staple for feeder-- I would get him off the worms and offer him dubias or crickets I recommend dubias-- is he eating vegies?
Karrie

kimcakez84

Original Poster
yes he eats veggies, mainly likes raw cabbage or blueberries, maybe the color? but he eats a few bites of kale and collard mustard and radish greens everyday too, he eats squash and apples and he took a few licks of yogurt the other day qnd had a strawberry from the yogurt. hes always seeming curious abt what i eat. i will stop that tho now. but yes to the veggies, he get crickets sometimes, not for a few weeks but i buy like 50 2x a month or so and half if them die and he eats em up, usually prefers the supers but nothing, the end of day 2 and hes had no supers and maybe 7 bytes of veggies since night before last. he did drink a bunch of water yesterday during his bath, i use reptisafe in his tub. he also has been being very babbied by me the past few day and im wondering if he isnt on a food strick, he will sit in his cold side and "pout" till i take him out and then turn all ligbt and happy colored and i swear hes smiling! but he seems to almost he being demanding.. like now he knows abt outside and qbt people and he just today started surfing his tank and wanting out. i cleabed it last night. i really dont know he is looking at me right jow happy as a clam but he has tobe hungry, he is got to be tired of the supers tho. ima change it up, but for jow how long is too long for bo food for this dude? when do i seriosy drive to a different town or close city to find an exotic vet? we live in a rural area and ive never even heard if one around here. thanks for the reply im trying to be thorough. def not a stain and def not poop, heavens no. he is bathed almost daily.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Some one else will haft to weigh in on this ---- I am not a health expert--- he needs to have a staple feeder other than supers -- they get that way stubborn but I would pull off the supers and try dubia roaches - you can order them on line - rainbowmealworms.com is good try abdragons.com and search amazon.com for dubias - suppliers offer free shipping-- other worms are available too like horn worms butter worms calci worms also known as phoenix worms nutri grubs and BSBFL black soldier blow fly larvea---- those are high in calcium and do not need to be dusted-- please lay off the cabbage too that is not a good staple either--- mustard collard turnip greens are good staples feeders -- green beans squash -- fruit NO Citrus ---- as far as him not basking that is not good -- he needs to be under his basking light for at least 4 hrs per day ---- the outside is good for natural UVB -- 15 minutes and that = to 4 hrs of that --- can you post a pic of his tank and lighting please--- something is off if hes not basking---
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The patch of scales looks like it's about to shed. The shed patches can sometimes take a while to break loose. Since it's a dull waxy gray looking area it tells me that it's most likely shed related rather than something harmful or a stain.

kimcakez84

Original Poster
104766-2119823234.jpg
104766-6178123457.jpg
104766-2273777188.jpg
okay guys, thank you so much for your replying. i love my boy so much and i really apreciate all the help i can get! so you were right, it was shed it came off. but he still isnt eating. he has had a total of 2 supers and 2 wax worms and a few bites if his greens. he is basking, he is very active, more so than usual. he isnt eating but he is glass surfing which is toatally new for him, he is demanding attention and to be taken with if i leave. he started doing suicide dives at the glass where he can ever so slightly see his reflection and idk if hes trying to worry me to get the attention he wants or if he is having a fued with his own reflections all of a sudden. he is about 8 minths old or less maybe he is becoming sexually aggressive? he seems to want to run around and around and he has been scratching me and he never used to do that, he def shows a dislike for other males besides my boyfriend. ice noticed that. if we are in a store or something and a male approaches he will rip around the back or front of my neck or chest almost like hes gonna attack! then he just gives the evil eye and gets restless. idk whats wrong with him, he seems to be okay, not acting sick, just acting like a baby and being very active, more so than ive ever seen him be, and he is on day 3 of his food strike as of now like i said. ill post some pics of his lights and his veggies and enclosure and even a lil something of his perfectness himself♡ lol. on a serious note, how long is too long without eating? i know they go months during brumation, but for my beardie when do i really start to think abt forcing him to eat and drink and do i ever do that? i just sterilized his whole tank and thats why its a little bare right now. i rinsed everything very well and his personal items (logs hammock etc..) are just finishing drying not to get the tank to humid. any advice or tips or help with figuring out why were on a food strike would be great! thanks again anyone who reads this. i hope u enjoy the pics. and i hope i am not over or under doing anything, i love him, im terrified i will mess up and cause him some kind of discomfort or worse... i hope i am a good mom to him. like i said ill take anythig you guys got for me! i ordered dubias today, thanks kerri. for now just a little worried but im sure yall can ease my fears with some legit advice and help, thx a million.

Kimberly
104766-1668412108.jpg
& YEEZY

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the behavior could be the lighting --- those look like coils--- the UVB recommended on this forum is this
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- I would change out the UVB and look at upgrading the tank to a 75-120 gallon w/ front doors - it doesnt look like he has a lot of room to get around ---- that would contribute to the glass surfing---
Karrie

kimcakez84

Original Poster
104766-2455778895.jpg
104766-3543150332.jpg
thats a pic of the bulbs i have, replaced them yesterday, are those the recommended bulbs or not? i was aleays co fused abt that, they arent tubes but are reptisun 10.0 bulbs so pls let me know if these are in fact the wrong bulbs. also if you can weigh in on the not eating issue? how ling is too long, when to assist or force feed and when to really worry? i hear abt food strikes and ppl seem to think not eating isnt a big deal. im freaking out, he has a huge appetite usually and now he will be on day 4 tmrw with as little as 2 to 4 worms 2 wax and 2 supers in 4 days! that isnt normal at all for him, he looks thin to me, i took that full body pic of him today, my bf says he looks fine but i see it, he is slimmer for sure, his skin is looser and wrinkily ive been soaking him each day he wont drink like he usually does either so i hope hes atleast hydrated q little from the soaks. again, how ling is too long for these guys withiut food, on these food strikes that i hear abt? thanks again. hope my lights are okay and that im not losing my favorite pet to something i cant see or help him with. the closest exo vet is almost 200 mi away. i have to stay ontop of this closely warching him, this is why im asking abt how long without food until i should force something ir assist something or go to a vet somewhere there is one. thanks kerri, or anyone who can help us! and
-kim

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please replace w/ the tube--- those are coils--- you need the reptisun 10.0 either the T 8 or a T 5 as stated below ---- you will need to get a fixture or hood- the T 5 is a flat hood and can be ordered on line I have not found the T 5 fixtures where I live in stores and ordered mine on line the regular fixture you can find in stores usually for the T 8--- as soon as you get the UVB changed out you will notice a difference in his behavior- thus more of a appetite --- the UVB is what processes the nutrients in their bodies so w/ out proper UVB hes not going to do that-- T 5 is a stronger bulb and needs to be in the tank approx 10-11 inches from basking and the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking --- the T 5 needs to be replaced once a year - the T 8 every 6 months-- please leave the cover or take the cover off the bulb for full effect of the UVB-----------
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom