Will she ever get her color back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isabelladragons

I just took in a very sick dragon from a bad owner. She obviously is showing signs of metabolic bone disease, is emaciated, and has no color at all expert around her jaw and eyes. it is clear she has no coloring due to never have sufficient UV but I cannot find any research that shows she will ever regain her color with a new UV light, correct temperatures, etc. Does anyone know whether or not her color will improve and by how much?

Also after her new lights are delivered and she starts getting sufficient heat, diet, lighting, etc, will she grow in size at all or just gain weight from mbd recovery/better diet? Thank you!
104755-5882663322.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am not sure but once she starts getting healthy again I would think so--- they say when dragons are happy their coloring is more vibrant --- its good you took her in --- there are so many out there that are neglected and in bad health or people are just to ignorant to change the way they need to be taken care of --- what kind of set up do you have for her? the best thing for her now is to get the proper diet along w/ good UVB -- some others on here w/ the health issues can help better than I---
Karrie

Isabelladragons

Original Poster
KarrieRee - It was even more depressing because this new dragon belonged to a close friend of mine that refused to change her ways because she thought I was being "too extra" by properly treating my own dragon. At the moment I've taken one 100 watt heat bulb from my other terrarium containing my healthy dragon and also gave her the UV 10.0 bulb from the other tank. My original bearded dragon is very healthy and strong so I'm not worried about removing some of his lights until the new ones I've ordered are delivered. she's in a 40 gal right now and I'm feeding her lots of repashy grub pie to help her gain weight and to give her some protein/water because her last owner gave her a few mealworms with some apple and never bathed or misted her. At the moment her diet consists of -
Repashy grub pie
melon
turnip greens
calcium - phosphorus-free with added D3 (my other dragon uses calcium without D3)
she is refusing waxworms and spits them out and I can't afford dubia roaches at the moment because of the recent shortage which is why she is eating instant food rather than live.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well I hope this other friend does not plan to get another one------------- as far as Dubia you can order them on line there are plenty of places to get them-- some suppliers offer free shipping check out Amazon.com also this place too www.abdragons.com -- they are reasonable--- I am glad shes eating good from the way it sounds --- you can divide the time up between the two dragons w/ the UVB that is good --- and you can always take one of them outside for sun-- I would recommend the one that is sick --- natural sunlight would probably do her good --- :) the UV 10.0 bulb that your using is that a tube or coil? And you have it where on the tank ?
Karrie

Isabelladragons

Original Poster
The UV is tube Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO 24 watt 22". I know to stray from coil/compact/ballast. it's on top above the screen because I have no place to mount it inside for now. I've always ordered from RainbowMealworms for my dubia because of there incredible prices but I will definitely check out the places you named. I use to order 200 large dubia for $20 and the quality never failed.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Oh wow that is a great price on dubias-- I don't think that price can be beat--- oh good on that UVB too she should be good-- there was some guy on another forum that thinks a check can be a basking bulb and he just rescued a beardie after it was rehabilitated -- dragon is gonna go right back to being sick -- tried to tell him but he won't listen - feel bad for the dragon
Karrie

Isabelladragons

Original Poster
Yeah that really sucks for that poor dragon. I’m stubborn as they come but I can’t imagine endangering an animal in the midst of my stubbornness. And no wonder rainbowmealworms sold out!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, just want to mention that the dragon may not have any more color than what you see if it's from a bloodline that is actually grey or brown. Even healthy dragons can change by either going lighter or darker depending on things like mood, stress and temp. but if they are not a color phase like orange/yellow/red then they will not become any of those colors. Good lighting + heat will change the appearance to a degree but can't bring out any color other than what is in their genetics. This dragon might have a bit of some color but not much different than what you see.
BTW, don't feed him/her too much at first, that can cause problems if she's not used to large amounts of insects. Small meals at first, then do so twice a day. Best wishes to your new dragon !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom