Feeding Schedule / Amount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
A lot of posts reference feeding say 1-3x per day pending dragon age, and to have say 15-25 insects per feeding... but. What insect? What size? I currently have BSFL for my 9.5 month, and it seems like 20 per feeding twice per day isnt enough. She'll hit the 10 month mark on June 22nd (or 25th, cant remember) and is roughly 15 inches long, she's usually still very greedy for insects after just 20, at least for BSFL. When it came to 1/2 inch crickets she only ate about 15 but a 1/2 inch BSFL is a lot less food than a 1/2 inch cricket.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes you need to feed alot more blow fly ---because they are so small --- I am not sure the amount or even count -guess I would just load up a dish w/ around 50 of them and see if he eats them all - I would maybe supplement them w/ dubias if you dont think your feeding him enough -- what is his weight? He should be eating as many crickets or dubias in a 10-15 minute sitting--- usually mine ate around 6-8 dubias at that age - he never liked crickets-- good thing about blow fly is you dont haft to dust them -- 1/2 cricket is not very much and 15 that is 7 roughly -- dubias are more filling and better for him anyway than crickets--- 1 dubia is = to 6 crickets-- make sure your feeding salads every day as well---
Karrie

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
My 2.5 month old beardy eats 50 BSFL in one sitting no problem. Then he moves on to medium sized silkworms and eat about 6-10 of those. Then he moves on to butterworms, of which I let him have 2. I check my timer and 52 seconds have passed. Then he looks at me like I am depriving him of food and gives me the stink eye. You get the point. Mind you this is after he has already had 50-70 small dubia for breakfast and greens and silkworms for lunch, etc. My point being that my 11 month old dragon would eat like 1000 BSF in about 1 minute, although they are too small to peak his interest. I recommend adding a variety of insects into your dragons diet. I feed BSFL, dubias, silkworms, hornworms, butterworms and superworms to my 11 month old. Now granted he is picky as all get up and usually zones in on one bug for weeks at a time, I still offer them all. I let my guys eat as much as they can in a 10-15 minute period depending on how greedy they are acting. My 11 month old gets offered bugs once a day right now, but lately he has only been wanting them every other, so soon he will likely be going down to bugs every other day (salad every day). I let him eat whatever he wants from that list of bugs above. He never makes it 15 minutes. My little guy is unstoppable. I'm pretty sure he would eat until he died from overeating so I do cut him off. I don't think you can put them on a bug count. It is my belief that they know what their bodies need and eat accordingly. My 11 month is very responsible with his intake in my opinion. The correct size of bug is nothing bigger than the space between their eyes. This does not apply to soft bodied worms, which can be a little bigger than that (silkworms, hornworms, butterworms). The smaller the bug the more they eat. Too big of bugs can cause serious health problems or death.

Kyle

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Im very restricted on what can be brought into the house, it took a month just to have more than 100 crickets off hand at a time. Took a few months to switch over to BSFL.

I attempted getting dubias, got halted hardcore. Currently the open options are BSFL and crickets.

But as I said, she only ate 15-20 1/2" crickets per feeding before, mind you the distance between eyes is still just under 3/4". She's eaten 60 half inch BSFL today as well as two bowls of a mix of greens. Cant post pics rn, but her stomach is rather pudgy now.

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
BSF and crickets will work. Just mix it up and let her eat as many as she wants for about 15 min a day for now. Once she hits full adulthood she can get bugs every 2-3 days. A good healthy salad becomes a very important part of their diet as they get older anyway. But at almost 10 months 1 bug feeding a day should be sufficient.

Kyle

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
Once she is big enough like 16-17 inches plus you could add in a few appropriate sized supers here and there for variety. They are very easy to keep and no smell, no sound, small container. Easy to get and cheap as well.

Kyle

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
Also a good place to get BSFL is Symton BSF. A lot cheaper than buying the branded Phoenix worms or the other branded ones. Dubiaroaches.com also has a good prices on nutrigrubs which is just BSFL. Can get expensive if you buy Phoenix worms or the other branded BSFL.

Kyle

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Im going to buy from Sympton next time, didnt find them in searches the first time around. So far been ordering 250 at a time for $20 including shipping from joshs frogs. Sympton has 500 for $17 including shipping.

Note: while I did mention people suggesting 20 insects per day, Ive been letting her eat as much as she wants.

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
Yeah and they always send xtra too. Whenever I ordered they would send 600+ for an order of 500 and 1200+ for an order of 1000.

Kyle

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Im gonna start by ordering 500 and see how fast she goes through it. Or simply see how fast she eats the remaining 150-170 I have left right now.

EDIT: I apparently have a lot more left than I thought. She ate a lot more today than yesterday, yesterday it was 80 in two feedings. Today its been 120 in a single sitting and she's still hunting for more. Aaaand even though I only ordered 250, there has to be another 100/150+ remaining. Guess Ill keep tryna find other insects that can be kept, since Im very tired of cricket upkeep and was hoping to replace them.

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
Good idea. Also if you keep them at 55-60F they will last 1 month or more without pupating. I have had success keeping them in the butter deal on the door of my fridge. Before you give them to her just put them in a bowl and set them under her heat light for like 1 minute and they will start wiggling around again. If for whatever reason they did turn into flies they will eat those too and enjoy chasing them. They look ominous but don’t bite or anything.

Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom